Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

open dump waste gate

Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Elantra
Default open dump waste gate

Ok for my turbo project, Im running a .57trim no name turbo. I have 3 inch exhaust from the turbo back and a little resonator at the end. now my main concern in my obx wastegate that dumps under the hood.

Having such an open exhaust would i have to worry about back pressure when routing the dump back in down stream? personally i dont like loud exhaust notes under the hood, i prefer to be able to here my turbo working.

i know the main advantage of an open dump is less back pressure in the exhaust pipe for the turbo.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent

Just plumb it at least 18" from the turbo at a shallow angle.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:27 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost

Screamer pipes are awesome dude, Yer as said route your gate pipe alongside the dump pipe and blend the two gradually together

Maybe put a couple of flanges in the so you can remove part of the pipe so you can have screamer on track days and turbo spool for stealth

Cheers Ryan
Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I have a open dump off a 38mm Tial, It is loud, but you can most certainly here my car spool over the exhaust, and my dump tube is only about a foot long.. I dont mind the sound case i am running enough boost to so it only opens if i really dig deep....
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost

Originally Posted by Turboron_99
I have a open dump off a 38mm Tial, It is loud, but you can most certainly here my car spool over the exhaust, and my dump tube is only about a foot long.. I dont mind the sound case i am running enough boost to so it only opens if i really dig deep....

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 AM

sadly i've had people ask me if i have vtec on my car when mine opens (it's running open wastegate also).....
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i had an open dump on my car, just because i was to cheap and lazy to get it plumbed back into the downpipe. I was only running ~8-10psi so it got very annoying hearing it open all the time.

If I was running at the track and trying to get the best times I could, I would run open WG, if i built a street car, I would plumb it into the exhaust next time.

if you decide to plumb it in (my recommendation) run it along the exhaust for ~ 2 feet and smoothly transition it (eg: 45 bend not 90) this will prevent the dump from effecting the flow as much from the turbo.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Elantra

I run an open 46mm gate. I personally don't mind the noise from the gate opening, it echos out the screaming of my girlfriend.

If you don't like the sound, recirculate it back into the exhaust.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Elantra

i wanna do this but cops watch me like a hawk in my area, id get pulled over before i even hit the road!!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

No to Hi Jack your thread, but with my car i also got pulled over all the time, now with Harness's and lowered to the floor and a complete straight pipe exhaust, no cop has stoped me any where in almost a year, and I wanna say it is due to my custom plates. I have heard others saying this, but i really think it is true. Yet, in town i am still carefull and try my best to stay quiet and not race light to light lol!