Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Swap to E85????

Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.
Thumbs up Swap to E85????

Hello, As you all know i drive a boosted Tib, And it is in the process of a long overhaul. Anyway I am thinking of swapping the car to run E85, just for the added benefits. I am not 100 percent sure of what all I will need to complete the swap, I have a 255l hp fuel pump and all turbosocks fuel rail and FRP Kit, So I think that only thing i will need is an Injector that is 27 percent greater than the ones i am rocking now... As I heard you need about that much more fuel over 93 octane tunes.

Let me know if i need anything else or if it is a good idea!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

So why are you switching to E85? For the environment?

What kind of power do you intend to put down?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost

E85 is not just for the enviromental effects, there is a other reasons like...

- lower detonation characteristics (takes a real bad tune to detonate)
- fuel stays the little bit cooler then 93 or 98 octane
- cheaper

E85 in effect is the performance cars wonder drug.

As i said in the topic of "right size injector" you need to have injectors 25% more flow to still maintain the same HP. saying that as well dont run one too big as really you dont want the fuel to drip into the motor rather you want a nice uniform spray pattern. when i say drip, When your car is idling, say you have a 1000cc injector on a 2L, because of how little duty cycle it needs to run & at low cruising, it wont be a pretty sight.

I would also reconmend if your going to E85 to put a spark amplifier on as well to help burn all the extra fuel.

Something you may want to look into is runing dual fuel rails, alot of sedate through to dyno warriors over here in Australia utalise these setups. Maybe look into saying you worked out you did need 1000cc injectors, maybe put a 610cc injector as a primary and a 440cc secondary, and have it set to have the secondaries come on at a certain RPM or boost Level. It would be highly reconmended at this time if you havn't already to employ the help from a full standalone ECU.

Cheers Ryan
Old 10-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Ryan, I think my post went right over your head.

I know what E85 can do, what I was getting at is if he's not planning for big power, it's useless except for a cleaner burn. Yay treehuggers.

It's like running mark c114 at 300whp, it's completely and utterly useless. Overkill and waste of money.

I ran 419whp on 27psi on 94 octane with disII and stock block with zero knock. It's all in the tune. At my power level I could use e85, except it's not available around here. It would allow me to run a leaner mixture to make more power at 27psi then what I did.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

i would like to have it around 450wHp, right now i am just under 400whp with a stock block besides a P&P and a set of Cp's, and a full Arp Kit. Runs and drives great but i does run really hot like most turboed cars, never had a problem with det, but anything helps!

it was just an idea, let me know what you think, and i like the two rail idea but i am pretty sure i can just run the 750cc and do a little street tuning for the drivablilty side of the tune, and tune the rest on the dyno.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Switching to E85 was the BEST thing I ever did for my Turbo'd GK Tib. Here's why:

1. Engine Runs Smooth and Cleaner. I looked at the piston tops and there was barely any carbon after 10k miles

2. Detonation resistance is vastly improved over 91 or 93 Octane. E85 is about 105 Octane on the summer blend. I'm able to advance 6 degrees of timing under boost which gave me close to 50 extra WHP. smile.gif

3. Where I live E85 hovers around 2.00/gallon whereas Premium 91 Octane is about 80 cents more. BIG benefit in my eyes. Its like having race fuel at your local pump and not paying close to 10 bucks a gallon for it.

4. I love the smell of E85 and yes it is cleaner for the environment. People who don't care about the environment typically don't care about their own personal health in my experience. Feed your car the best food available and it will last longer and run better just like your body. wink.gif

Here's some Cons to E85:

1. Not Available in all areas, mostly in states that don't care or don't know what E85 is. LOL

2. Can be harder to convert older cars to run on E85 due to larger fuel system requirements. Older rubber fuel lines should not be used with E85. On newer cars this is NOT a problem as the fuel line material is of a much higher quality that tolerates higher Ethanol mixtures.

3. E85 needs about 30% more fuel to burn at stoich ratio so that means about 30% greater fuel consumption. Some of this is mitigated by a cleaner, cooler burn so you can lean out the AFR more than possible on gasoline. Plus you can add more ignition timing which helps consumption as well.