Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

supercharger idea

Old 03-29-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger idea

I am working on a design for a supercharger for a Lanos (because thats what I have) but it will work on any car. Basically if you have a Lanos(and all Daewoos are probably like this) you know things are a bit "tight" for a supercharger. So, my idea is to use a "smog pump" hooked up to the intake that is driven by a electric motor. Now, to get enough power out of it, it will require a motor with enough torque to rip an arm off, but I'm sure I can find something. If anyone as any ideas, questions or comments. Or are already working on something similar please let me know.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I'm guessing this would be and ENGINE modification. Any clue what forum it should go in? tongue.gif

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say ENGINE/INTAKE/EXHAUST. tongue.gif

Moving thread!

Any form of an electric supercharger would require more electricity than the altranator is capable of producing. A "smog pump" would simply not move enough air fast enough, it would also pose quite a bit of restriction to the intake air. A larger electric motor could move that much air, but it's electrical requirements would be in the thousands of volts.

Someone was working on an idea for an electric supercharger using 'sheet capacitors'. (I have no idea what 'sheet capacitors' are, it was that persons termonology).

Basically it would be a "supercharger on demand" system. The capacitors would provide the electric motor with the ungodly ammounts of electrcity needed to move some 600 CF of air per minute into the motor. The disadvantage is that the capacitors eventually totally discharge, and must be recharged, so you would have anywhere from 2-5 minutes of no boost before your next supercharged run.

Getting the fueling right on an "occasionally" supercharged motor would also be quite difficult.

[ March 30, 2002, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-29-2002, 11:16 PM

I am working on this based off of someone elses design of the same thing. I've requested more info on it and I'll do some research and see what I come up with.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:33 PM

Don't waste your time.

If it could be done effectively the companies with the 100's of Millions of $ budgets would have already done it.

Spend the time trying to find more ways to make money so that you can get a real supercharger or turbocharger.

Just trying to save yourself some headaches.

Cheuk
Old 03-30-2002, 08:09 AM

Its not that I don't have the money for a real supercharger. Infact I already have one. The problem is that there is no way in hell to fit it onto a Lanos. And I don't really like turbos. They are useless until you are already doing a good speed.
I got a motor from a cordless drill to do about 4000 rpm's off of a 12v battery pack and some capacitors but its really too much to handle and it burns up. But I think 4000 rpm's could be enough to push a "blower" hard enough to get some good air pressure.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:30 AM

Spinning fast isn't the issue--it's the horsepower & torque required to build the pressure. I have a computer fan that spins at 8000 rpm, but it could never build more than 1 or 2 psi with the best setup. As pressure builds up it puts stress back on the motor throught he compressor mechanism, a puny electric motor just doesn't have enough power to maintain the pressure. What you'll end up doing is burning out the motor as it tries to push against air that is stagnating in the compressor.

A high horsepower electric motor requires a lot of current at whatever voltage it uses. I have only found 1 or 2 cordless drills I couldn't stop with my hand, and those requre huge batteries that don't last very long. To be strong enough to maintain a good boost, a drill would basically have to be capable of ripping your hand off.

You'd be better off mounting a small lawnmower engine under your hood to drive the supercharger

[ March 30, 2002, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Veniston ]
Old 03-30-2002, 10:26 AM

There is already a supercharger system for the Lanos. It was covered in detail in the Australian magazine fast fours about 2 years ago.

Also, a well matched turbo will not leave you waiting. I can guarentee that a nicely tuned turbo for the Lanos will give you all the power the chassis can handle.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:08 AM
Ant

Not trying to be rude here, I have a korea only turbo quest for cheuk. I saw kuk's website a few days ago and learned that he has/fabricates turbo's for 97 Accent gt's(DOHC in US). Are you familiar w/ his setups? I would be very happy w/ his HP claim on my stock engine. *I know phantom racing here in the US offer RPW. Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

agenteight:
And I don't really like turbos. They are useless until you are already doing a good speed.
The fact that you made this statment just goes to show how little you know on the subject. A properly designed and sized turbocharging system can provide you with boost when you want it. Want 5 psi at 2000 RPM, you can do it. Want 15 PSI at 3000? It can be done. Just for the record, my turbocharger setup makes 9psi at 2500 rpm. Hardly "at speed"....

But NOOOO!!! You want to build an electrical supercharger??? Fine. I'm sure Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mercedes, Mclaren, BMW, and Volkswagen, are all just slackers. You and your maybe $10,000 budget is obviously far superior to their billions of dollars in Research and Design and entire teams of engineers. Your vastly superior education surely covered the basics in electrical theory, fluid dynamics, physics, and automotive engineering. I'm sure you've spent years in the class room learning the mathmatical forumulas for air tempature rise vs pressure increase. I'm sure you know the workings of an electric motor inside and out and know just the right voltage and amperage to provide to your motor, and you now just how to provide variable voltage to this mythical electric motor, so that it provides constant boost, rather than trailing off at high rpm, and boost spiking at low RPM. I'm sure you've worked out the perfect design using aerodynamic theory on the number of blades to your fan, and just the right pitch, so that they can quickly move and pressurise the air, yet not provide a restriction to incoming air when boost is not wanted/needed. You must have all of these minor simple problems solved, so I guess that's you're so confident you'll solve such problems as to how to get your stock ECU and fueling system to provide enough fuel for your now force fed motor. I'm sure you already figured out a way to alter the stock timing, to advance and retard the spark based on boost. I'm sure you've also already calculated the max flow rate of your stock injectors and stock fuel pump so you know just how far it is safe to push them.

Jesus H. Fricking Christ...Give us all a break. Hook up a electric leaf blower to your engine, call it a superchager, and call it a day.

If you are interested in learning more, and how to do it the RIGHT way.

Pick up
"Maximum Boost : Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems" by Corky Bell
"Supercharged! Design, Testing and Installation of Supercharger Systems" by Corky Bell

You will learn the facts (not the myths you propgate) behind turbocharing and supercharging.

One last thought....
If you do "infact" have a supercharger, why not install a hood riser or hood scoop so it can fit the supercharger into the engine bay? Nah...that's too easy.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:21 PM

damn...*sniff* *sniff* do you smell something burning?

So i guess i won't tell you guys about my supercharger idea. I guess a hand-pump and a cracked out chipmunk wouldn't work either wink

[ March 30, 2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Decker ]