Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Superchager too much for the engine?

Old 12-15-2004, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default Re: Shifting into 2nd...

screw both of them

teamsr and shark racing
Old 12-15-2004, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Head Unit problem...(I think its a problem with my wirin

QUOTE (UltraTibby)
QUOTE (faithofadragon)
what ever you do dont buy from sharkracing

The tool actually means TEAMSR not Shark Racing.

don't buy from either of them asses.

Kit-Fox, you need to do some searching and LOTS of reading mang. The difference has been talked to death, which is better has been talked to death, and electric shitchargers have been talked to death my mang.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Superchager too much for the engine?

QUOTE (Kit-Fox)
Whats better a turbo or supercharger? how do they differ? and like what SPECIFIC parts would boost acceleration, just in general?

www.howstuffworks.com
Old 12-15-2004, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Some GIF's I made (56k WARNING)

This is your lucky day, I don't feel like yelling at you for not searching.

The Engine
Our Beta engines are fairly strong. They can take some abuse. The only parts you will probably need to replace internally on a fresh engine on even the most powerful street car would be the pistons and valves. The crankshaft and such is supposedly good to near 600hp levels. Axles might become a danger if the power is getting too large.

The fuel system on our cars is fairly weak in stock form, you'll probably end up replacing bits and parts of that over time. Our cars may run rich from the factory, but start tacking on horsepower and you'll end up with maxed out injectors.

The ignition isn't too bad, an MSD-DIS II or some other ignition control device is nice to control the spark. If you running an intake manifold spacer or higher horsepower better grounding wires and wiring helps. Plugs and Plug wires are a given.

Turbocharging
Turbochargers are less reliable but put out the most power on our 2.0L engines. They require steady maintenence and care. Checking the oil lines, looking for vacuum leaks, and hosts of other unsavory things. The more you boost the engine, the more you will have to take care of it. 4,000 dollars will buy you 300whp or so (accounting for an average 17% drivetrain loss, thats about 350hp to the crank. That price is the turbo, the piping, the engine management, the lower comp pistons, and the better fuel delivery system. Probably a new clutch as well. That price is what it would cost for you to do the work, and not paying someone to do it. That could rack up several more thousand dollars.

Supercharging
Superchargers are a crapload more reliablee than turbos in most cases. Still the looking for leaks, and steady maintenence, but its a lot easier. The only problem is 2.0L engines don't respond well to superchargers at all. 4,000 dollars would buy you maybe 200whp if your lucky. And thats running alcohol injection, smaller pulleys, and all sorts of supercharger trickery to get the most out of the supercharger. New fuel pump, a little fuel management, and maybe 300cc injectors and your good to go. Once again, prices are if you do the work.

Nitrous
Arguably best bang for the buck before you factor in "hidden costs." Run a high quality wet shot kit or direct port, from say NX, and get all the other goodies such as a bottle heater, gauge, and the kit itself. Once again, new fuel delivery is a must for a high shot. That means new fuel pump, maybe Hyundai Sonata injectors (think they are 230cc, a little bigger than stock Tibby ones). 3,000 into a nitrous setup could have you running a 100 shot safely with some pistons designed especially for nitrous. That, once again, is about 200whp and if you do the work.

Naturally Aspirated
Ahh my personal fave, since them turbos agitate me so much. Little maintence, little skill, and moderate gains. This is the part I've most researched on the Tiburon. Running AEM Intake, KSpec Headers, Custom Exhaust with Hi-Flow Cat, 61mm RSide Throttle Body, Ram-Air Intake Manifold, Plenum Spacer (IM Spacer), Hi-Comp Pistons, and some custom grind 272 cams is my goal for my car. About 4,000 once you include the grounding wires, new plugs, fuel system and management, etc. I hope (note the hope) to put out 180whp naturally aspirated. Tough goal, but I think with some good tuning I can pull it off. I'd settle for 170whp though. Thats doing it myself, but installing all that stuff is relatively easy to install, save the pistons which I might have a little trouble on, having not worked with that deep in the engine too much. Thats what my dad is here for tho. wink.gif

There you go, Hamhead's guide to get performance out of a Beta. My fingers hurt.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: FS: Sony 10" Subs,Sony 1000W amp.*UPDATED 12/10 Pic

Woah, nice response, thats what i was looking for, jeez Hamhead, nice, nice, now how bout ansewring a few questions about what you said

1. we have Beta engines? whats that mean?
2. whats the AEM Intake?
3. whats a throttle body?
I think i like the "natrually aspirated" section the best, better then the nitrous, super charge and turbocharge.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:17 PM

Location: Lillington, NC & Maryville, TN when I can get there
Default Re: CheeseBurger Anyone?

QUOTE (faithofadragon)
USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

QUOTE (blu_drgn)
But seriously try seaching around the site and you will find pretty much anything you need!

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
Kit-Fox, you need to do some searching and LOTS of reading mang.

Not to be an ass, dude, but

Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Re: 97-99 tiburon new body kit sponsorship

NA is good and all, for the obvious reasons, (stated above) but it all depends on what u want. For me turbo is the answer. I need the power.

If u havent yet decided on what u want. Do universal things that u will need no matter what u choose. BBTB, Air ram intake, these are just a few examples.

And use the best tool of all, Search...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: Who's higher.

QUOTE (Kit-Fox)
Woah, nice response, thats what i was looking for, jeez Hamhead, nice, nice, now how bout ansewring a few questions about what you said

1. we have Beta engines? whats that mean?
2. whats the AEM Intake?
3. whats a throttle body?
I think i like the "natrually aspirated" section the best, better then the nitrous, super charge and turbocharge.

beta is the name of our engines, nothing more.

the aem intake is a CAI made by aem. you sure you have an intake?

the throttle body is between the intake manifold and the intake. it controls how much air your engine sees.

look here first
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/

then here
http://www.rdtiburon.com/old/index.php?nam...viewtopic&t=134

and then buy this...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/083...3110603-2858449
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Superchager too much for the engine?

Question #1: 97-01 Tiburons and some Elantras (Don't know years, thats Dweet's thing laugh.gif ) have Beta I Engines 03 and up Tibbies and once again Elantras which I don't know years of have Beta II Engines.

Question #2: You said you have an Intake, which I'm assuming you got off EBay. AEM makes the best intake for our cars, but they run about 150 dollars more than a generic one off of Ebay.

Question #3: The throttle body connects the intake manifold and intake. It has a throttle position sensor that tells the car computer how much air to let in, and other various features.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Re: OBD2 Inspection Problem

ya i have a K&N Cold Air Intake, and ya i did get it off ebay the link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

i dont understand what the Air Ram Intake or BBTB thingys do btw

P.s> kinda sad i have a ebay link for everything ehh?