Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Stock flywheel

Old 03-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 turbo elantra
Default Stock flywheel

Would a stock flywheel be better then a lightweight flywheel for a boosted Elantra? I have heard that a lightened flywheel on a turbo car can cause a loss of torque? Anyone confirm?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

What you heard about is a loss of energy on the launch. A flywheel is a type of energy storage device. When you spin it up some of the work the engine did to get it spinning is "stored" in the weight going around in a circle. When you dump the clutch that energy is transferred to the wheels. Light weight flywheels cannot store much since the storage is locked to the speed of the flywheel and its weight. The actual torque the engine puts out is unchanged if not increased because after that transfer occurs its not having to spin a big heavy ass flywheel. I think I got that right.

In other words, you will need a few more revs to launch, it doesn't hurt your power output or torque.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

^^^^ Correct,

It also for me, Has made my tranny alot less Grindy when combined with some synchro-mesh tranny oil. Yet street driving becomes a little more intricate. Even though that only adds to the fun, atleast for me. I have my Fidanza bolted to a CC Stage 4 with a Althier push swap. Works amazingly. Yet, again alot more foot work is involved.