Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Still Havin Issues

Old 03-18-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Haha well, 3000 miles later (79-82k miles) still having some issues. Which I figured I would have a few headaches, only normal. Didn't expect migraines that need some serious painkillers. Being back in college now after Spring Break doesn't help my ability to work on it later... just need it to last six more weeks till summer.

Problems
If I stab the peddal (I.e 20%-80% throttle) the turbo spools, the car stutters. If I keep on it, it misfires. This stutter has always been present, but has gradually worsened. Every time I jack it up it seems to get worse. lmao.gif If I build boost slow (I.e 20%-30%-40%-etc.) then the car makes boost and takes it fine. I'm at a total loss on this one.

The car idles standing still fine. If its moving (I.e slowing down from 50-0) and I push in the clutch, the car doesn't catch itself like it normally does at 1k, it falls to 0, sometimes coming back up, sometimes cutting off. Currently, I dont have my Idle speed hooked up. If I plug it in, it idles at 2.5k and refuses to come down no matter how I back out the idle screw. I pulled the electric clip for it and adjusted the idle via TB, which gives me a gift of 2 CEL codes. Probably thinking the idle actuator is dead here, if you have any other ideas let me know.

Two issues... only have two CELs, the two idle speed CELs. Now.... I've done this:

= Went over the hot and cold side turbo piping infinite times for leaks.
= Changed the MAF sensor, redid the solder connections on the extensions twice.
= Changed the CKP sensor, checked the electrical clips, they're fine. Visible wiring is fine.
= Changed the TPS sensor (3 times, 3 sensors). Visible wiring is fine.
= Went over the car for vacuum leaks at least twenty times.
= Redid the wiring at the ECU for the Unichip.

The first problem is the most aggrivating, and the most confusing. I have no idea on this one. Three things:

The Unichip install directions for vacuum lines say to tee into the PCV lines for the line that goes to the injector controller. I'm running no PCV, so I ran it off the IM. Shouldn't be an issue, but curious if I'm just retarded and not seeing something here.

Throttle body. Could the aftermarket TB be f0x0red? Don't really see it going bad, although the first of my issues with aftermarket parts came with the TB/IM install. I might slap on the old TB just for the hell of it, out of any other options.

There IS a hole in my head right below the IM gasket. I believe I can see into a runner... lmao.gif However, at idle it doesn't leak, and there is no fuel residue around it to lead me to think its leaking. Its been there since I did my TB/IM install and noticed it. The car ran fine up to the turbo install with it, although it does seem to be bigger (probably my eyes trying to see what they want to see, i.e the problem. Rip the head off, switch it, no more issues... yeah right).

Any bright ideas from anyone/suggestions? Welcome to anything. To be honest after I change the TB/redo that vacuum tubing... I don't see it being anything I can change without swapping motors.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:57 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like ignition. You should check your spark gap and spray your wires down with a mist of water to see if it sparks... also check to see if you have a hole in your head lmao.gif .
Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Ooo forgot, I switched to a step colder plug, swapped back to my old plugs. So plugs be good.

I just changed the wires, I might try em again just for the hell of it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Just curious to fill me in more than anything:

You have the alpine kit wich has its own elbow at the Throttle body, right? how is the idle air controller motor conencted to that? same as before, or is it grabbing air from elsewhere? I could
Old 03-19-2007, 03:44 PM

^^ It came without the idle air hole for it... I drilled a hole for it, and tapped it with a fitting. Theres a flat spot on the underside of it that seems like it was meant for it to be there, though the directions didn't say anything. When I called John he said he didn't know why and to just put it there.

I'm probably gonna take the afternoon off from college tomorrow and head home. Probably change injectors/look at the TB/look for vacuum leaks again/redo that hose setup. Buy some new wires if all that fails.

If that doesn't work.. yeah...

I'm close to setting it on fire and burning it. lmao.gif
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

did you pressurized the piping to be sure you don't have a leak anywhere?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 AM

The piping they used the material is thick, ~1/3 of an inch or so, so I doubt it. Couplers I visually inspected pretty well, I'll go back over it.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

What TB do you have?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

check leaks not only on couplers, but also the intake manifold gasket, TB gasket, vacuum hoses..

you'd be surprise how many leak you can find in a car...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 PM

I'm using the same as you Redz, the 65mm Tigerlilly. Its fine though, I readjusted everything and its better.

I didn't have as much time as I thought yesterday (was my birthday) so I just redid some wiring, went over the piping agian, and put the new idle speed controller on, along with readjusting the idle and cables. It decellerates much smoother letting off the gas now, and I have no CELs now, which is a start.

It has to be leaking somewhere, to be honest thats the only thing I see it being. Whats so odd about it is that the idle is so smooth, with the size of a leak that I have to have to cause my issues, it should idle rough.

TPS Code is back. lmao.gif

TPS makes me want to / wrists.

The wiring or the ground must be messed up on it, I have to look at it... again.