Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Standalone/ecu For Dummies Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm hoping this thread will help answer some of my questions and also be a good reference for others who are in my shoes. I am still up in the air about which ECU/standalone/piggyback I want to use for my turbo project. I want something that is going to give me good results but not break the bank or my car! smile.gif

So far I have checked out Airbornes ECU and though it seems very promising, I think I want to have an ECU that I can tune myself AND will be able to transplant to another car possibly in the future.

I want to run a single fuel rail as well with 440cc injectors. So, that pretty much narrows my options down to a standalone.

I've been looking at the megasquirt II and the haltech. I've heard that the megasquirt you need an ignitor or something for the ignition system. What about the haltech? Which would be the easiest to install? to upgrade? To tune? Which is the most reliable? What other options for Standalones are there. PRS4?

This is my turbo setup thus far:

Garret T3 .42 50 trim
2.5" intercooler with 2.5" piping
440cc injectors
OBX manifold
255 LPH fuel pump

Emissions shouldn't be a huge thing. I live in Denver and they have Rapid tests set up all over town that monitor your car throughout the year, so no OBD II scans. Uhhhh.... I cant think of anything else. Sorry this is so basic of a question. I was really banking on Airbornes ECU, but I have decided to go this route instead. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a megasquirt v3 with msnse code running. You do not need an external ignitor with the internal ignition setup. You can purchase a ms set up for everthing needed from RSautosport.com He is very profesional and dose A+ work. Haltech is going to be the better of the 2 but is 3 times the price of megasquirt. I almost have a good running map that I would be willing to share with others for the MS but it would require you to run the 029 code unless you dont mind transfering numbers a bunch. Anyway later.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if you want to learn more about the process, megasquir, if you want a quick and easy solution, haltech. i personally love building electronic circuit barods and woul love to build able to control my car, so i would go with the megasquirt, with the msns-e to control things like boost and what not.