Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

School me on intercooler piping!

Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 07 Tiburon
Default School me on intercooler piping!

As we all know there are many different sizes available for intercooler piping. From 2.5", 2.75" and 3". Your everyday kits usually come with 2.5" piping and all the bigger power kits come with 3" piping. But does size really matter when it comes to intercooler piping? Should you just go with the biggest piping you can possibly fit or will bigger piping affect a smaller system? Or is it best to go with the smaller 2.5" piping until you are making big power?

Basically what I am getting to is, if there is any benefit/ drawback to running 3" intercooler piping on small set ups?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I had the same question. I worry if there's a similar effect of having a 5" exhaust, where there's too much room for the air and it doesn't have the pressure into/out of the intercooler. My question is focused around using the stock turbo on the GC with upgraded piping
Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

2.5" piping is good up to 600whp. Till then stick with 2.5" or 2".

With 3" you have more volume to fill, which then means lag. It will take more volume for the same psi of boost. You get what I'm saying?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

2.5" can flow efficiently up to 740CFM which is around a 52lb/min turbo (t3/t4e 60trim) and about 600hp

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/in...showtopic=16456

And the downside to having unmatched pipes is it could cause turbo lag.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

Say you have 2.5' currently hot side, and cold side.

Relating to the sizing what if you wanted less lag but didnt want to reduce it to much.

And went with a 2' hot side and a 3' cold side, will there be adverse affects to doing this?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Cooler pipe sizing is very subjective. People will swear by a certain size if they've had good results with a particular diameter. It all depends on what you want the engine to do. I've run 3" piping with a pretty damned big cooler(sized for 3 liters and up) on 2 liters before, and only minimal lag occurred since the system as a whole was designed somewhat correctly. This setup matched the response of a 2.6 liter engine with a smaller turbocharger, while revving higher and making more power.

In the end, your application as well as space constraints, and your willingness to compromise will dictate the piping you use.