Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

S-AFC vs SMT-6

Old 01-21-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, how hard would it be to tune SMT6 VS SAFC? I know you need a laptop, not a problem. But what about fuel and ignition maps?
Someone mentioned that there is low and high settings, which are easy and then there is the mid settings which would also have to be tuned by a user, unline SAFC that just makes a guess in that part.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp

Here is the write up off Perfect Power's website. I have been debating on the unit to use, and after reading this thread I'm kinda leaning toward the SMT-6. As far as I know when you buy this unit, the programs are mostly free are they not?? That, at least is what I have read on that site I posted and here on RD. I'm still on the fence though. I like the better tunability and the full ability the basic SMT-6 unit offers VS the Emanage and having to buy everything else.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, so tell me this.

Why WOULDN'T I buy the SMT6? What would be reasons to stay away?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well... its not very purty. tongue.gif C'mon Redz, your a ricer at heart. smile.gif

If anyone could get it, and tell us how effective it is... I'm sure most dyno shops would be able to make use of it. Things like the ignition you really can't get on the road and "do it yourself" like you can with fueling with the S-AFC.

Only question I have, does it have a knock sensor? S-AFC will tell you if your getting detonation, letting you start rich and slowly tune down the fuel by yourself until you get slight engine knock, and therefor tune it yourself if you wanted to. Of course a wideband o2 along with the SMT-6 would solve this little problem either way.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:23 PM

I think I'm gonna get it instead of SAFC and MSD. The only thing is that I'm just conserned on tuning and how easy it would be...
Old 01-21-2005, 07:51 PM

well from all this.. it seems that the SMT-6 has the advantage over the SAFC not only that but its cheaper to get that than the SAFC and MSD combo.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:45 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

tibiette
on the SMT6 you can run 2 "files" you can switch from 1 file to the other with a simple switch (IE you 2 stage boost controler switch... stage1 file 1 on the smt, stage 2 (high boost) file 2 on the SMT
so when all your programming is done it' easy to switch,but most of the time only one good map is needed
Redz,
i've heard of some cars (not hyundai) converted from MAF to MAP
i might give it a try once i'll put the turbo on it
the other way you can do it...
clamp the MAF signal to lets say 4.9 volts so the ECU won't see that you're "overflowing" the MAF and use extra injectors (either 4 or 2)
Old 01-21-2005, 09:29 PM

just my 2 cents i would have gone with the smt-5 just due to the fact we have used them in are shop before and easy to use, i havent had the chance to see the smt-6 at all im sure it is just as good, but after a while i figure screw it im not messing with piggybacks, i went ahead and picked up a PRS-8 stand-alone is much better and pick them up cheaper than haltech's. Perfect Power has very good product's everyone i know that has them is very happy with them i tell everyone here just try them for yourself. you'll be happy u did .
Old 01-21-2005, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, but using what you are using, what about ODBII?

Soon, in the next few years, that will be MANDATORY nationwide.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Denisst99)
tibiette
on the SMT6 you can run 2 "files" you can switch from 1 file to the other with a simple switch (IE you 2 stage boost controler switch... stage1 file 1 on the smt, stage 2 (high boost) file 2 on the SMT
so when all your programming is done it' easy to switch,but most of the time only one good map is needed
Redz,
i've heard of some cars (not hyundai) converted from MAF to MAP
i might give it a try once i'll put the turbo on it
the other way you can do it...
clamp the MAF signal to lets say 4.9 volts so the ECU won't see that you're "overflowing" the MAF and use extra injectors (either 4 or 2)

hey thanks for the info.. thats what i wanted to know. because as long as i can save at least 2 settings (low boost and high) and then swtich between them with a flick of a switch without using a laptop then that is perfect..