Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

S-afc Ii To Lean Out Rich Engine?

Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,
As you know all Hyundais run rich. When I installed my shity ssautochrome headers about two years ago, my car blew through cats like nothing I have ever seen (2 in fact). I ended up having to throw a stright pipe on my tib. Totally illegal in the states. I will not pass inspection, as it is due this month.

My plan is to buy the S-AFC II and try a cat again. I hope to lean my engine out enough to make the cat function without failure. I don't want to waste money if I will be in the same scenerio as before again.

Will this work?

PS: I would rather not buy a wide-band o2 sensor.

For the record, I used to post on HP.com, you may remember the flame orange tib with the zekon body kit.

Current engine mods are:
1998 Hyundai Tiburon
AEM CAI
SSautochrome 4-1 Headers
Full 2.5" Exhaust

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:09 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

um if your burnin cats its not the natural hyundai run's rich problem

ive had a header goin on 3 years now still have the same carsound cat
Old 04-10-2005, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai tiburon

I'm in the exact same situation....except the core of the expensive Random Technology cat...fired out the back of my exhaust..so now it runs like a straight pipe. I bought the SAFCII but have not had it dyno tuned yet due to cost here in the NW for dyno tuning.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM

But....do you think it will work? Using the S-AFC to lean out the engine. I have a dyno and tuning shop near my house that will tune the S-AFC.

I just want it to work.

Does anyone else know?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:12 PM

icecrsher
Where is your #1 02 sensor? Is it after the 4 pipes join into 1? If so pay to have it moved forward into one of the 4 primary pipes. #1 and #4 are easiest, but I would reccomend the #2 cylinder, as that is usually the cylinder that has issues.

Once you move your 02 sensor to within 12" of the exhaust port, let me know if your car STILL runs rich.

Two last items.
#1. Is your Intake Air Temp sensor where it belongs in the air intake path (in your CAI)?
#2. Have you ever cleaned your MAF? If not, go to your local Radio Shack or electronics/better auto parts store. Buy a can of ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. Gently and carefully spray off the thin film in the MAF. Do it at a perfect side angle so half the spray goes above and have goes below. It doesn't take much to crack one of those things. Spray carefully and let air dry. Then re-install your MAF and Re-set your ECU (unplug battery).

Those things should solve your Rich condition.

Only other thing I can thing of would be drippy/weaping injectors. Remove em and soak them overnight in B12 Chemtool. That should clean them up. Or spend the $25 per injector + shipping and send them to RC Engineering.

then...and ONLY then, once you've cure'd your rich condition should you buy another cat. Otheerwise you'll kill it quick running rich.