Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Reliability?

Old 12-19-2005, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

well I'm getting really really close to getting all the turbo stuff together and now I getting worried that maybe this isn't the best idea right now. Here's the situation:

the tib is my daily driver and it can't be broken, a blown engine would be super super bad. I use this car for my computer business doing service calls and stuff, I have two other cars. my wife's cavalier and my 75 cutlass supreme (show car) so i could get by but what it comes down to is the tib needs to stay just as reliable as it is now.

by setup starting out is super basic

t3 super 60
sf log mani and dp (going to get them rewelded and checked out by I guy I know that does work for nascar people) wink1.gif
all the oil lines i need
dsm 1g bov
vortech fmu
vacuum manifold
gsx fuel pump
a custom charge pipe 2"
all this running about 5 psi with no intercooler for now - getting a intercooler later and upping it to 8 psi

is this really all that dangerous? I thought there was nothing to worry about but with several recents stories/comments I'm getting a little worried.

really my question is boost really as much of a maintenace issue and a reliablilty problem as the n/a guys say it is or is corky bell right in saying screw n/a it's for pussies?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:09 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

for your low boost (5psi) application, it'll be ok for daily driving, so don't worry...

just make sure you don't cheap out on the parts and take time to get them installed correctly; ei: getting the manifold/dp rewelded, quality fuel lines, silicone couplers and good oil lines.

change your oil and filter more frequently and use only the good stuff, don't cheap out on the oil... this is where turbo and engine depends it's life, oh yeah don't forget about the oil restrictor as well; take the oil from the side of the head. if you don't have a turbo timer... when you park, always make sure that you keep the car running for at least half a minute or so to cool the turbo down, if you went crazy boosting on the way to the store, you're gonna need more than that to cool down the turbo.

also, plan ahead and make sure that you will have a very good cooling system: radiator flush and (with your manifold, you need) slim fans; preferably install two if you can fit them, but the driver's side is the most important one if you have ac.

based on experince and also my current situation,
a note in installing the slim fans:
- take time to mount it using the stock mounting points!!! get someone or you fabricate special mounts for it, even if it costs you, it's worth it
- make sure as much as possble that the fan is not touching the rad or its fins... have some space between them
- if fabricating special mounts is not possible; sure, use the thru-rad mounts but make sure that you have some sort of the insulation between the part of the fan should that's touching the rad/fins.

the vibration of the fan when it turns on and running will slowly scrape and eat away the part(s) of the rad that it touchies, until you get leaks, i mean huge ones...
that's what happen to me yesterday!!! i'm still finding time to get it fixed, i'm not even sure on what the extent of the damage is... so for you, having a backup car is a very good idea, especially if you use the car for work.. i'm borrowing my fiance's car right now

don't take this note a discouragement but as a guide, a lesson for your setup k?

when you up it up to 8 psi... get a really good tune (but if your not going stand-alone or dual rail, you will lean out eventually, the fmu will help out a bit for you), watch your boost guage carefully, don't boost if you don't have to. also having a nice odb-2 reader would be nice, cel's are bound to come up and it's good to know what you need to take a look at before the problem worsens

hopefully those will help
Old 12-20-2005, 02:28 PM

thanks for the info! there's some good idea's in there.

I have slim fans already. One is installed (i made the brackets myself) I didn't know that it wasn't supposed to touch the radiator though so i'll check on that. get some spacers or something. btw, using aluminum bars it's SUPER easy to fab your own, just takes time.

thats what mine looks like, i got the idea from road race.

I also have a greddy turbo timer, I just forgot to mention it.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think that you should be okay if you do keep it at a low psi. But I really wouldnt slack on finishing the whole turbo setup thouroughly (like me=P) Its good you got the slim lines and jay gave you some good tips as well. Dont worry about it..dont drive like a maniac and make sure once everythings installed, its installed good and nothings loose. fing02.gif
Old 12-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Even though its your daily driver... take your time on the install. Take a lot of time, look at everything several times before moving on. If you run into a problem\question, ask here so you don't mess something up and create more problems.

Take your time and you should be fine.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

turbos don't kick in until you really hammer the pedal up at high rpm's. drive it gently and you'll be fine. just pleeeease make sure you get aftermarket heads that will be thick enough to handle the PSI.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:40 PM

what do you mean by heads?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Tuning is going to be the problem. If you do it right with a standalone, then it will be just as reliable as stock, even with 10psi. But if you cheap out and get a SAFC, then you'll crack a piston like I did. It took 2 years and 10-14psi though. lmao.gif I knew it was gonna happen, but I was just waiting on a cheap enough substitute. So I found the PRS4.