Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Re-flashing the EF Sonata 2.4 ECU...done ;).

Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Sonata 2.4
Default Re-flashing the EF Sonata 2.4 ECU...done ;).

So I'm a noob here, but I have something that some folks might be interested in. I can't find any mention of DIY-ecu tuning here, so maybe I have something new to share .

I'm currently playing with DSMs, and my current project is to swap them over to the Evolution 8 ECU. There is some software available to tune these ecus, called ECUFlash. It's freeware, although the cables to tune with vary in price. I made this patch harness the other day, to test my car on an ECU from a 02-05 Lancer A/T:

Now,in the top left corner of that picture is an ecu from a 2002 Sonata A/T, which has the exact same pinouts and nearly identical board inside. It's exactly the same processor, which is what makes this possible.

I took ecuflash 1.34 and my ghetto-hacked DIY tuning cable, hooked it up to the Sonata ECU and got a perfect read using the Lancer protocol . I later flashed the Sonata ecu with the file for my DSM (89 Colt turbo), connected the Lancer patch harness to the Sonata ecu (exactly the same plugs), and fired the car up with no issues.

So, the basic good news is that the Sonata and Lancer ecus are almost the same. The A/T portion of the pinout is basically the same as well, minus a few wires for the TipTronic/SportTronic dash lights. I can't confirm more than that right now, as my car is a manual. The best part of this is that while I haven't put any effort into disassmebling the Sonata ROM file to make it tuneable...someone has already done this for the Lancer A/T file . My thoughts are that the boosted Lancer A/T file could be flashed to the Sonata ECU, and all sorts of fun could be had. The file allows for full tuneability for boost and other mods.

The only difference in hardware is the MAF. The Sonata would have to be rewired for a Mitsubishi Karman-Vertex MAF, but that's cake.

This is all preliminary, but realistically, it'd mean the FIC could be tossed to the wayside. The Lancer file also has full control over the OBD readiness monitors...

Ecuflash = freeware (The latest version is 1.44, and it will work fine with the below files, but it won't work with anything other than the $200 cable. The ghetto cables need 1.34 to work, since there's no ID check).

tuning cable = $50-$200

Sonata ROM file: http://www3.sympatico.ca/tchaad/Sonata_2.4.hex

EXTREMELY BETA ECUFlash Sonata XML file: http://www3.sympatico.ca/tchaad/863100F1.xml

I have no idea if using the Lancer A/T boost file in the Sonata ecu will disable the Sportronic shifting, or if the transmission will even shift properly, but the wiring is identical...so I am making some jumps in logic. I can post the boosted Lancer file if anyone wants to take a peek .
Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

full control over the OBD readiness monitors.

As in, it could report 'ready' when the car is blowing black smoke? I don't have either of these cars, but the concept is interesting in theory to someone who lives in an area where emissions testing is required annually.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

This should work with 2.4 Kia Optimas as well. For some reason, they still used what was basically a 4G64.

I really do love me some flash tuning. Dunno how much extra shove you'll get out of an NA 2.4, but this holds promise for perhaps a tarbo swap from some turbo DSM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM

Yep, the car could have zero emissions equipment, but all the monitors would read 'complete'. The Lancer ecu I'm using on my Colt GTT reads complete while sitting on my workbench flash station, lol.

The EF Sonata 2.4 is a dead ringer for the Evo8 4G63, and the evo crowd use those bottom ends to bump up the displacement. The turbo manifold bolts up . I'm considering an EF Sonata for a daily driver so I can play around a bit more with this stuff.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Updated the XML file to include the axis' for the fuel and ignition maps. The interesting part is that the timing maps have a load axis that goes to 260 (roughly the same point as the Evo 8 maps), and an RPM axis that peaks at 11000! The fuel maps are unfortunately locked in at 7000rpm and 100% load until I can figure out how to overcome that.

If I could test any of this, I'd have better results...but I can't yet .

I also found the injector latency table, I think, and the speed limiter, although I haven't included them in the above file just yet.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I'm assuming you've done this sort of thing before, how are RPM maps usually locked?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM

The code being used is very similar to the code in the evo 8, which is why I'm having luck finding the info . The RPM axis on the stock map only shows 7000, but it can rev much higher than that. The stationary rev limiter is 7500ish, vs the 6500ish rolling one. It just means the table will max out at the 7000 row and use those values at anything higher.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the ecu use the timing table axis values, since they are much higher, and would allow for native boost tuning with all the factory hardware intact. There is a Lancer bigmap boost file I could use, but I am not sure the sporttronic trans function would work properly. It would run great in D or shifted manually though.

Working with the factory code is just a bit more fun. Doing stuff that hasn't really been tackled before is a challenge.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 AM

As for the fuel table being locked at 100% load, that's a hard limit. Any boost wouldn't 'read', since the 100% part is based on maximum load in N/A trim. There's a calculation that needs altering, I just have to find it.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Found a LOT of new maps. I haven't updated the file yet, but I don't think many folks will care, lol.

As an example, if this works out, then any boosted OBD2 hyundai could be swapped to this ecu with a bit of wiring work. This would mean full tuneability, and NO CELs or issues passing emissions readiness checks .