Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Proper warm up for a turbo engine

Old 10-20-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tibby
Default Proper warm up for a turbo engine

I've heard all kinds of stories on how to warm up a turbo'd engine. Some say warm up the car until the temp needle rises a little, others say warm it up till the needle is in the very middle. Some also say that the best way to warm it up, is to let idle for 30 seconds, and then drive, not exceeding 4k rpm until the needle is in the middle, since you just need to start it and and idle a little so the oil pressure builds up, and there is no need to idle for more that that, as the carbon builds up faster in the engine. I am sure this question was probably asked a million times, but I could not find a sufficient answer in regards to this topic.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Depends in what kind of hurry I'm in. Usually I'll get in turn the car then get settled in then off we go...about 30-45 seconds or so. I never sit there and count though. Until I see oil temp around 140 I don't boost, but I have because well...we won't talk about it.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

It depends on the engine and how built it is plus you have to use common sense. If your car was completely stock would you romp on it right away or let it warm up a bit? A turbo'd stock engine doesn't need anymore warm up than just a stock engine. A built engine with forged pistons needs to be warmed up so that the pistons expand and you get the necessary piston to wall clearances otherwise you risk damaging the pistons. A stock engine does not have that worry.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I always let my car, turbo or not, warm up for a minimum of 45s-1m regardless. I'll just sit there waiting if I have to, unless I'm rushing to the E.R. or something.

I usually do 1-3 minutes. I'll open the garage, start'r up, and go inside to get my wallet, jewelry (ring, watch, etc.), turn off the lights, adjust thermostat maybe, then leave. I keep it garaged, so it isn't exposed to extreme elements and the temp rarely drops below freezing. If it is freezing, I wait for the car to warm up completely and gingerly drive it to warm up the suspension and rest of the car.

more > less tongue.gif