Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

leaking turbo

Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default leaking turbo

well, i was planning on sending my turbo out to get rebuilt, but alas the maxima needed brakes so i spent the money there. ive been trying to sell my handgun so i would have some spare money, but no one buys a pistol during hunting season here....

would it be somewhat "safe" to drive around with the turbo leaking? of course id watch the oil level, i dont have to drive far to work but being that i dont have a shop and it gets VERY VERY cold here im sorta screwed to try to work on this over the winter (for example...its 37 degrees right now)

its leaking out of the compression housing, not a major leak, but a good drop every second or so

Old 10-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Leaking out of the compressor housing? Leaking from where that you can see oil drip?

Does it blow oil into your charge pipe? Does it blow smoke when driving?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:20 PM

just a drip drip from the air filter basically, no oil in the charge pipe, at least none from the side of the charge pipe that actually enters the motor

i was running VERY rich last time i drove the car(my own fault...i had the FPR set to 53psi at idle....), so it was hard to distinguish the "color" of the smoke

EDIT

my brother reminded me that it did leak some out of the vband for the exhaust side also, its been 5 months since i had it running...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

So it drips from the compressor inlet and the turbine outlet but you blow no smoke? Something is not adding up. What's the shaft play like?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:58 AM

oh it smokes, not horribly but it does

just cant tell what color it is right now, i should have the car up and running again tomorrow, so ill update then

remember mario i only put 20 miles on it before i blew up the trans
Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

If it drips out of the compressor side, do you have your pcv valve hooked up to your turbo inlet, if so disconnect it, might be blow bye.... but if i were you i would just get a catch can with a breather and route the breather and the pcv valve to it, but remove the pcv valve and fit it for a 1/2 barb!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 AM

If it drips out of the compressor side, do you have your pcv valve hooked up to your turbo inlet, if so disconnect it, might be blow bye.... but if i were you i would just get a catch can with a breather and route the breather and the pcv valve to it, but remove the pcv valve and fit it for a 1/2 barb!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

If the turbo has an internal wastegate disconnect it so you don't boost. This will help slow the leak a bit while your driving. As long as your engine oil pressure is fine just keep checking the level till you can fix it. If the leak gets too bad though it could affect your oil pressure which would be bad.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 AM

Bey 03tibe85, he is running a Holeset turbo off a diesel cummins power joke!

Dought it is internally gated, also.. never seen a turbo drip, I actually lied i have seen a turbo drip but only from the outside when i blow the head gasket on my talon...

I would check out the to see if you got shaft play which you shouldn't, but usually seals that leak are either brand new, or have been sitting, i have seen turbo seals leak out of the box, very minimally then they stop as they get broke in and warm...

I would pull the DP off and see if you got oil running down the hot side, and the inducer wheel should be visible if it is bad as you should have oil being pushed into the charge pipe!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:17 PM

the more i look at my car and think about it, the more i think i just f*cked up the return line.

i also noticed i never clocked the center section of the turbo itself, so its actually angled toward the engine quite a bit

heres some pics (click to enlarge)