Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Piggyback Ecu From Alpine Develop Turbo Kit

Old 01-18-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai tiburon 1.6 TURBO

hi, where can i get this piggyback for my custom turbo installation....cause with the APEXI SAFC2 that i have i can tuned it like that piggyback? someone know the configuration?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It's called the Unichip, do some searching.

It sucks.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:25 PM

I wouldn't say that the UNICHIP sucks and that is all there is to it. The UNICHIP actually is a fairly versitile unit as far as piggy backs go, it's just the pain in the buttocks on the tuning end of things. User tuning is virtually impossible as Dastek will not sell their software to anyone except an authorized dealer. Making tuning inconvienient and more costly for the average consumer. sad.gif
Old 01-20-2006, 07:28 AM

Or, save yourself typing, and say it sucks.

BTW, he's in Spain.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:41 PM

Believe it or not but the Unichip is actually one of the top Piggyback ECUs used through-out the world. Yes, the current version can only be tuned by a dealer, but the new version will be more user friendly and tuneable via a USB connected to either a Windows laptop or Windows Mobile PDA device. If it sucked so much why would manufacturers like APS use it in all of their turbo kits?
With that being said depending on how much boost you want to run and what size injectors your using Alpine can offer a pre-programmed Unichip for your application.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Nice to hear about the "New Version" coming out, but the current version, plainly, sucks.

I'm going off of the common word here, everyone that's had one of those Alpine kits, has hated it.

Almost all of them have complained about the lack of "Tunability" or the lack of an authorized shop to tune it anywhere near them.

Therefore...

it sucks.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The Unichip is a GREAT ECU. However, thats only if you leave the kit alone and dont want to tune it. Or if you happen to have a dealer in your area. But I would assume most do not have a Unichip dealer near them.

To say it "sucks" Redz, is not a good way of putting it. That's like me living on a deserted island and saying the Haltech sucks because there's no one available to tune my car with it. It's completely relative.

Random was the first to get a not-so-great kit from them, but that was like 5-6 years ago and Alpine is making a lot of uprades and has a good starter kit for the people who want an easy bolt on and reliable kit. Just look at the SC kit for the V6, people love it.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Lincoln Aviator

I've been out of the loop for a while, but isn't the problem with the uni chip due to the whole MAP/MAF problem? Thats what I remember reading a few years ago