Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Oil Leak On Top Of The Engine?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm not sure if this belongs in the turbo section, but the problem didn't start until after I finished up the turbo install on the tib.

Problem is, I have an oil leak ON TOP of the engine. Sounds pretty freaking rediculous, but everytime I take her for a ride, I'll pop the hood afterwards to find oil accumulating on top of the valve cover around where the spark wires run. I just replaced all the valve cover gaskets including the little round ones for the spark plug "wells" not 500 miles ago, so I can't imagine they'd be bad.

I've been laying off the boost until I get a proper tune, so I doubt it has anything to do with the turbo itself, but I'm not sure. I've hit 2, maybe 3 psi sometimes before I realize it and let off the gas, so I suppose it's a possibility.

If anyone needs a pic for whatever reason, I'll post one up.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've heard your oil dipstick can be the culprit, check that and where you tapped the head for oil, make sure it's all sealed well.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM

It sounds like your pressurizing your crankcase. Think about it. Even 1psi is actually 15.7 psi pressure if you account for the pressure it takes to overcome vacuum. You need to make sure your PCV system is working properly. The Beta PCV valve was never intended to cope with boost pressure of any kind so chances are your valve is leaking boost and pressurizing your crankcase and cylinder head and forcing oil out of every hole it can. Replace the stock PCV valve with one from an eclipse or EVO and run your breather line to the turbo intake and you should be fine.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:59 PM

^^^

I was wondering about that. I replaced the hose that connected the head to the IM, and just stuck a breather filter on until I can rig up a catch can. Where else would I be pressurising the cylinder head from?

Here's a pick of my setup if it'll help:

Ok, is this the PCV valve/line?

I don't know why I never disconnected that from the nozzle on the head before, seeing as it's obviously still going to pressurize the damn thing. if I were to disconnect it from the engine, where would I route it to again? Or can both ends just simply be sealed off?

Thanks for the help fing02.gif
Old 05-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Seal off the end on the elbow and you'll be fine.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 PM

thanks yamaha. You people have got to be sick of pulling my butt out of the fire. So its ok to let the line run open from the engine then?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Technically you should have a catch can there because just disconnecting it will allow oil to drip out and into the ground/air.