Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Having Trouble In My Secondary Injectors

Old 05-12-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys please help out!

I'm having trouble activating my secondary injectors (which are high impedance 440cc RC ones) . I wired and calibrated my SMT-6 as per Jay-M's instructions. I have inputed a value of 20 at the 8 x 16 table on all of the cells and every cell on the third axis has a value of 1.2 (just to make sure the injectors will fire, this is just my testing stage). Now, I'm getting no pulse whatsoever on the gray/black pin on the SMT unit thru means of a test light. I tried wiring the green wire of the SMT-6 to the negative terminal of the battery just to make sure it can conduct good negative 12V.

I'm out of solutions guys please help.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 AM

Did you purchase your SMT-6 new? I have seen the internal injector driver go bad from time to time. Did you make sure you've got a good switched 12v source for your secondary injectors? Did you try firing them at idle? you should be able to flood the engine at will with the 440cc injectors.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 PM

QUOTE (dmdicks @ May 12 2008, 09:01 AM)
Did you purchase your SMT-6 new? I have seen the internal injector driver go bad from time to time. Did you make sure you've got a good switched 12v source for your secondary injectors? Did you try firing them at idle? you should be able to flood the engine at will with the 440cc injectors.

yes sir I purchased mine about 2 years ago and I have been using it since as a MAP sensor manipulator and ignition modifier. had good results with it except this time 02.gif

yup I've got a very good +12V source (according to my tester, it's at 12.65V) and yes I'm trying to fire them just at idle.

do you think the only explanation is a faulty unit perhaps? 02.gif
Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM

What are you using as a reference when to fire the injectors? An external MAP sensor? If so is the cursor on the Injection map moving with boost like its supposed to? The injector driver is pretty simple. Need a good ground for the SMT-6 green wire, the gray/black wire goes to one pin on the injector and the other goes to a switched 12 v source. Make sure you have good continuity to ground by using a multi-meter on the ohm setting and connect between the green and gray/black wire. Enter a really high value in the idle injection column and measure the resistence between the two wires. It should be close to zero as the SMT-6 pulses the injector ground. If it isn't then you either have a lose connection at the harness or the injector drive has gone bad on the unit.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

41willys,

Try to map(s) that i've sent you (they are calibrated for a 3-bar MAP sensor), increase the value on the 1x8 map to max on idle and see if the engine gets flooded or if your wideband shows rich.

If everything is in order and you have triple checked your wiring connections, then that SMT-6's injector driver might be the culprit. Touch base with Perfect Power and let them know your situation and how would you go about the repairs/warranty since you are across the pond.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Jay-M @ May 13 2008, 02:15 PM)
41willys,

Try to map(s) that i've sent you (they are calibrated for a 3-bar MAP sensor), increase the value on the 1x8 map to max on idle and see if the engine gets flooded or if your wideband shows rich.

If everything is in order and you have triple checked your wiring connections, then that SMT-6's injector driver might be the culprit. Touch base with Perfect Power and let them know your situation and how would you go about the repairs/warranty since you are across the pond.

Jay-M, I've tried your tune map (both of them) but I had no success. I have already modified the map in such a way that the injectors would fire, but wideband still reads the same.

I'm currently leaning towards maybe a Greddy E-Manage and then letting the SMT-6 take care of my timing for the meantime. My SMT-6 is already in it's 3rd year in my hands, and I know that it's already out of it's warranty period. By shipping the unit to US or Africa for repair, it would cost much much more than buying a brand new E-Manage.

Again, I really realy appreciated your help Jay-M. Thanks so much hail.gif