Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Oil From The Dipstick... Continues To Make A Mess

Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I posted about this almost a year ago but didn't reach a solution. Every time I change the oil the problem gets worse until it blows out a quart of oil then it's ok. It still pops out the dipstick but oil isn't pouring out.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=20487&st=0

Is it possible that it's just a head gasket?

I did a compression test thats also in the other post:

1-210
2-210
3-210
4-220

I think I really need to do the leakdown test. All you need to do to get tdc is to turn the crank with a breaker bar right? Last time I had to find tdc was on a 250cc dirt bike. All you have to do there is turn it over with the kickstart!

symptoms & setup:

1. hoses to vent and pcv valve are venting to atmosphere
2. blow by coming out of dip stick
3. often smokes on cold starts (more noticeable when it's cold outside) This I'm assuming is the head gasket.

edit: I'm looking at a jeep this next week for work I might just end up tearing the tib back apart and make the jeep my dd for a while.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It's kind of funny man, I've got the same thing happening over the past few months. My dipstick pops out and oil blows around my usually pristine engine bay.

Makes a LOT of smoke too, my wife pulled over and called me crying one day, thinking she blew my engine. The oil came out of the dipstick onto the hot GT Headers and smoked up through the CF Hood vent.

LOL
Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 AM

well... it's obviously you're compression.

lol

somebody fix this problem please.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:02 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

worn out dipstick o'rings?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:15 AM

^^^
Know of any alternate dipsticks for us?

Shit, or where to get some of those O Rings?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:41 PM

I replaced the dipstick o rings. Didn't help a bit. It's a tight fit now and the pressure is building up too much.

QUOTE (tibby01 @ Jan 20 2008, 02:46 AM)
well... it's obviously you're compression.

lol

somebody fix this problem please.

???? What do you mean somebody fix this problem? The compression test looked good on all 4 cylinders.

My main reason for posting is to find out if other people with boosted tibs have had this same issue. I'm hoping its just a head gasket but I'm afraid there is some engine damage.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:07 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Route your PCV to the manifold to provide vacuum. It will provide vacuum durring idle when the crank case gasses are highest.

Run some seafoam in your engine for about 100 miles before an oil change to clean out deposits which may have formed in your oil/crankcase ventalation lines.

Check/replace your PCV valve.

Check your PCV oil drain, I wrote a DIY on it. If your PCV oil drain is filled up then it may be blocking your lines.

Do you have your breathers mounted directly on your PCV/breather lines? If you routed them to somewhere, you could have a dip in the line causing buildup of oil vapor and eventually drops of oil which take pressure to push out of the lines to ambient air.

Check those things and definately hook up your PCV to manifold. It can only help. The crankcase ventalation system is hardly used durring WOT or 1/2 throttle. Less then 1/4 throttle you'll be providing vacuum to help assist gasses out of the engine.

If you're reading that high of compression, your head gasket is probly fine as well as your valves. Your compression is reading normal figures. 20 PSI will drop easily out of a pinhole.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

i have a boosted tib, and have never had this problem.. you say that the PCV and valve cover vent are venting to the atmosphere.. but how exactly do you have it set up..

are there two lines running to the ground?

do you have an open fitting in replace of PCV..

i hooked up my pcv/air vent wrong one time, and i had too much pressure, resulting in oil leaking from my turbo seals.. i had the two lines T'd into my oil catch can and it was basically recirculating the pressure i think.. i change them both to open lines and everything is good now.

O-rings are so easy to find, you just need to figure our the size of ours and buy some new ones.. you can get like a set of assorted o-rings for really cheap online.

compression looks really good, so i doubt it would be any blown gaskets. there would be lack of pressure, not too much pressure.

edit: do you have an oil pressure gauge? if so, where is it mounted?

you don't need to run your pcv to the IM, just get an open fitting, or just keep running the atmos. dumps.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 PM

right now it's just two open lines going to the ground. no pcv valve. ...need to install a catch can. I was making one but haven't finished.

I went googling and found this great write up on honda-tech. (apparently they've had fights about the right way to hook up catch cans there too!)
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1199935

It sounds like I need to just make a better vent from the block so it has a better place to go than up the dipstick. Does anyone know of any good spots already there. I'm thinking that if I get my catch can together and vent the block to it this problem will disappear.

I'm kinda wondering if my vents on the head are plugged up though. They are definently draining some but I have no idea of how much.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Good point DTN, it's probably the way I've got my catch can setup with no PCV. I'll be changing all of that soon.