Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Oil From The Dipstick... Continues To Make A Mess

Old 01-20-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

From wikipedia:

This leaked gas is sometimes referred to as "blow by" because the pressure within the cylinders "blows" them "by" the piston rings. These gases include compounds harmful to an engine, particularly hydrocarbons (unburned fuel), as well as carbon dioxide and water vapor. If allowed to remain in the crankcase, or become too concentrated, the harmful compounds will condense out of the air within the crankcase and form corrosive acids and sludge on the engine's interior surfaces. This can harm the engine as it tends to clog small inner passages, causing overheating, poor lubrication, and high emissions levels. To keep the crankcase air as clean as possible, some sort of ventilation system must be present.

You probably already know this, but just putting it out there. So I would check if the vents are clogged and/or setup some better venting as soon as possible, it might be more important than just fixing the dipstick problem. Something to consider - the PCV vent is designed to work with manifold vacuum, so it might not be big/efficient enough when you're just venting it in the atmosphere.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

We might have the same issue redz, there's a diy on cleaning the head isn't there?

I'll take a look for a good spot to vent the block. I think that might be the best solution.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:36 AM

Well I took off the valve cover, took off that little cover over the vents, cleaned it up and put it back together, and installed a homemade catch can (exhaust pipe and some fittings). Still popped out. Then I put in the dipstick from my brothers tiburon. Didn't pop out....

I'm ordering a new dipstick.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

A turbo car creates a LOT more pressure in the cylinders than an NA car. It's amplified by the amount of boost pressure. Therefore, you're going to have a lot more crankcase pressure (blow-by). The stock PCV tube is sized for the amount of gases a NA car would expell. It would be best to drill and tap a larger tube on the right side breather.

My turbo Z has a 1" dia. breather tube on the valve covers, compared to the Tibs 1/4" tube.

Redz, you have a different problem. There's no reason for that to happen on a NA car.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 AM

QUOTE (Supercow @ Jan 20 2008, 02:41 PM)
???? What do you mean somebody fix this problem? The compression test looked good on all 4 cylinders.

i was cracking a joke calling attention to your almost perfect compression numbers. wink1.gif
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (JonGTR @ Feb 5 2008, 11:49 AM)
Redz, you have a different problem. There's no reason for that to happen on a NA car.

My problem is fixed, I posted it above.