Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

new exhaust..

Old 01-16-2005, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I guess you eliminated all the back pressure you could and some more plus you definitely lost low end torque(look at my thread) so there isn't enough power to spool up your turbo anymore, but it should feel(breath) better once you get to high rpms smile.gif

people with 2.5" NA exhaust should reconsider and get a smaller exhausts.... and people who want 3" exhaust for their turboed car should stick with 2.5"!!!
Old 01-16-2005, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I swear it has to be your wastegate. Every gosh darn thing you described is classic wastegate not shutting properly. Bad low-speed response, sluggish boost, but the car still reaches maximum boost with no loss of power, just late. Are you getting any detonation?

Believe me OP, 2.5inch mandrel is fine for naturally aspirated. I'm running 3inch mandrel on my GSX, and I gained power over 2.5inch mandrel. 2.25inch is more suited for 1.6-1.8L engines, like Celicas and Accents smile.gif Tiburons, while slow, are not in that category. If you've modified the Tibby at all on the intake side, 2.5inch is fine.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:04 PM

you will gain at the top end couple horses, but if you don't race all the time, it's not worth loosing all that power at the low end.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

QUOTE (hamhead)
I swear it has to be your wastegate. Every gosh darn thing you described is classic wastegate not shutting properly. Bad low-speed response, sluggish boost, but the car still reaches maximum boost with no loss of power, just late. Are you getting any detonation?

Believe me OP, 2.5inch mandrel is fine for naturally aspirated. I'm running 3inch mandrel on my GSX, and I gained power over 2.5inch mandrel. 2.25inch is more suited for 1.6-1.8L engines, like Celicas and Accents smile.gif Tiburons, while slow, are not in that category. If you've modified the Tibby at all on the intake side, 2.5inch is fine.

well i didn't think anything at all was wrong, i was just shedding some light but i will check the wastegate, its not bad at low speed nor does it have sluggish boost it boosts hard, i just thought it would boost sooner rather than later (refer to the first post).

so when should a t3/t4 begin to spool at what rpm?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I've helped friends install 2.5inch mandrel on many different applications, the loss of low-end is all placebo. You've gained in the mid-upper RPM so you think you've lost bottom end but you haven't.

I would think a T3/T4 would make boost @ around 3200-3500. Are you sure its your CV joint clicking and not engine knock/ping/detonation? What sort of fuel tuning are you running if any?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

QUOTE (hamhead)
I've helped friends install 2.5inch mandrel on many different applications, the loss of low-end is all placebo. You've gained in the mid-upper RPM so you think you've lost bottom end but you haven't.

I would think a T3/T4 would make boost @ around 3200-3500. Are you sure its your CV joint clicking and not engine knock/ping/detonation? What sort of fuel tuning are you running if any?

definetly the cv joint. its dosn't make a sound when high on the revs just when im turning slightly at idleing speeds.

im running a full standalone. Link LEMV4