Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Help me to build low budget turbo kit

Old 01-16-2005, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007
Default Help me to build low budget turbo kit

Hello
I have 1997 Tiburon, 2.0, manual, with MAP sensor.

I need help, to build low budget turbo-kit to get 200-210 hp. On stock engine.

I want to use modified stock manifold and rebuilt turbo.

I think list should be like this:
1. turbo
2. manifold (modified stock)
3. intercooler
4. custom piping
5. oil drain pipes
6. blow off valve
7. Apexi S-AFC2

If I have mistakes, please correct me.

I have some questions:
1. Should I reduce compression rate to run safely with stock internals? What rate should I get? Is it possible to use two stock gaskets?

2. Do I have to change injectors? If yes - can I use injectors from Sonata 2.4?

3. What psi should I get to run 200-210 hp?

4. Where to get oil? Where should I connect oil drain piping?

5. Can I use stock blow off valve from other cars?

6. How can I adjust psi with internal wastegate?

Thanx!
PS. it's hard to find anwers for this questions in Ukraine.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First, do you want 200-210 to the crank or to the wheels? I'll go by the wheels in this case, shouldn't be much difference.

Second, modifying a stock manifold won't work. It would cost more than a turbo-built manifold, it wouldn't flow right, its made out of crappy material, and I don't know if you have a cat on your manifold, if you do, that makes it even worse. A mild steel one should only be $250.00 new... what that translates to Ukranian money I don't know.

Third, rebuilding a turbo is once again bad idea. Get a new one. Rebuilding it costs almost as much as a new one, and its hard to find one in decent condition. Getting a new one will ensure no problems.

Your going to need only a small turbo. Many choices. T3 Super 60, 14G, T25... I personally would go with the T3 as it has a little more room for upgrading later on. T25 would max out pretty fast (it comes stock on 2G DSMS). A new T3 Super 60 is about $500.00

If you want to be safe, use an front mounted intercooler and probably 2.5inch intercooler piping. Tim @ Speed-Factor is perfect for these. A small FMIC and the piping will probably be $500.00.

I would use synthetic oil with a turbo, as it has a higher tolerance for heat. The oil feed and return lines are attached to the turbo. With the Tiburon, you don't need a sump to return the oil in the return line. Gravity should work just fine.

Stock injectors are fine for the power you are looking for. You probably won't even need the S-AFC, the stock ECU should be able to handle that. You will, however, need a Fuel Management Unit like the Vortech.

Yes, you can use the blow-off valve off of other cars. The one off of 1G DSMs are perfect. They hold up to around 15PSI as well. Only like 30 bucks too.

Your also going to need silicone couplings, T-Bolts, and other goody items like a turbo timer and boost controller are recommended.

Since you want to run an intercooler... if you got lucky with parts you might get away with a safe, reliable kit for about $1500 dollars. To get a complete kit and save yourself time, with all brand new parts, Tim @ Speed-Factor.com's basic turbo kit comes ready to stick in with all the lines, couplings, and everything you need. With an intercooler that will run $2400.00.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Guys...

QUOTE (Dmitry)
Thanx!
PS. it's hard to find anwers for this questions in Ukraine.

Be nice. He looked me up on ICQ and has been asking questions. Help the guy out.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:47 PM

I've talking to him on ICQ as well smile.gif
Old 01-16-2005, 04:54 PM

If there is anything you guys can't give him a definite answer on, or if he has new questions, he can post away here. smile.gif I can't use them instant messaging services cause I'm on such a slooow connection.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:56 PM

I answered most of his questions today.

He's getting SAFC, most likely, and will get a T3 off VW.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:17 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

where should I get oil from engine to oil turbo?

I need exact points.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If you look at your engine block, the front right corner has a little Allen Key screw that you can take out. That's the best place to get oil from.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:07 AM

When you do an install your going to end up draining the oil anyway when you tap the oil pan. Thats when you put in the synthetic oil in your car and take a little injector and squirt in however much the turbo specifically needs. New oil goes in a turbo, not old. Otherwise your going to end up changing it real fast and maybe do damage.