Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

My Turbo Project!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, well, I wanted to wait until I got this thing on the dyno and get a good tune on it before I shared this with everyone, but I just couldn't wait any longer!!

Got my first turbo build installed (finally) and its running great so far! A project that has been a year and a half in the making!

Here are the specs:

OBX Turbo Manifold
Garrett t3/t4 .48 trim
Oil and Water cooled
Internal Wastegate
Bosch/Ford Green Top 440cc injectors
Walboro 255 lph Fuel Pump
Greddy FPR
Haltech E8 running full sequential injection!!!
Custom wiring harness
Haltech Igniter
eBay BOV
Intercooler
eBay Piping and Coupler kit with T-Bolts
Goodridge SS oil feed -3 line with .06 restrictor
SS oil drain with Earls Fittings
AEM Electronic Boost Solenoid
Koyo Aluminum Radiator V2388
Flexlite Fans 220
K&N Cone Filter
Glowshift Boost and oil Pressure Gauges
Custom Gauge pod
Custom Heat Shielding for Turbo Manifold and downpipe
Oil Catch Can

So far, thats all I can remember! I am attempting to boost on stock compression. I want to see how far this engine can go with a really good tune. I will probably do either pistons or decompression plate, but not until next year. Going to get her on the dyno and see how far I can push her before she starts to detonate. And then that will be that until I get the compression lower.

Custom Wiring Harness PLUG AND PLAY!!!!

I am REALLY excited about this part of my build!!This is something that could benefit everyone who is considering going standalone, whether you are going turbo or extreme N/A mods. My tuner, who is a very good friend of mine, made a custom wiring harness that connects directly to the stock wiring harness and utilizes the stock sensors. Its a plug and play harness that can be utilized by anyone and pretty much any ECM. He is considering making these on a per order basis if people are interested. It was SO easy! No wires to cut. We did have to run a few wires, 5 I believe, for the igniter and boost controller that the E8 controls. Thats it though! And we wouldn't have had to do that if I had purchased an ECM that had igniters built in. Its a plug and play harness that bolts to the stock location of our OEM ECU's! If anyone is interested in these, let me know and I will get an offical thread posted just for these plug and play harnesses. Here are some pics:

The Plug and Play harness has already been wired directly into the Haltech in this picture, but these harnesses will be sold as a "flying lead" harness with everything labled so you can connect it to your specific application and choice of ECM

Both of these images show just the connector. The next picture shows the Plug and Play harness in its mounting case. A shell will also cover the wiring and a gromet will help protect the wiring. The plug and Play Harness is actually the skeleton of an OEM ECU gutted and retrofitted as a plug and play harness.

The next picture shows the Plug and Play Harness installed in the car in the stock location of the OEM ECU. Fits perfectly.

For those of you who are wondering, the Haltech E8 is running the car in full Sequential injection. The drivability is fantastic! We are hoping that with sequential injection we will be able to maximize fuel economy and also maximize the fueling and timing to create the most power. This was especially important to me as I wanted as precise of control as we could get running the car boosted at high compression. May make a difference, may not, but I am certain that the Fuel economy and drivebility will be well worth the extra investment.

The rest of the project photos are here.

(Without heat shielding on Manifold)

(With Heat Shielding over Manifold) Also, I relocated the intake filter to the inner front fender well, exactly where the AEM CAI places the filter. Great place because it sits far away from the heat of the engine. I also have the fog lights out so right now it gets cold air directly from the huge hole in my bumper where the fog light use to be!! I am replacing the fog lights with fog light blanks that should also allow air to travel directly to the filter.

I ended up having to install a Koyo Radiator to help with overheating issues I was having after the initial install. I live in Denver at 5200 feet and regularly take my car up a large pass to teach. (5200-8400 feet) The climb up I-70 was just too much for the stock cooling system. The Koyo is an AMAZING up grade that I wish I had done to my car well before the turbo. Now my coolant temps are rock solid! Plus, it added a little bling to the engine bay!

I never had to remove the bumper or cut parts of the inner bumper to make my intercooler fit. Its snug, but fits perfectly inside the bumper. Made brackets to help hold it in and thats it.

Here is my tuner and friend, Damon, working hard to get my car out of his garage!!! I think he had just as much fun with this build as I did! He really does love these little cars! Infact, he was bugging me to get the car over to his house to get this thing installed. Sometimes I think he was more excited about this build than me! LOL!!! He has mad welding skills as well!! He fabbed up the downpipe and welded on the return bung to the oil pan. Very generous with is time and knowledge. I wouldn't have been able to have a build so well done without his help.

Ok, well, I get the car dyno tuned (hopefully) next Thursday, maybe sooner, depends on when my friend can get the time in his shop. I'll post up numbers and results then. I'm not looking for mad numbers, just something more than stock thats crisp and responsive, drives well, will be reliable for now, but expandable in the future. I think I got exactly what I was after! Let me know what you guys think!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

B-E-A-UTIFUL! Glad to hear the good news. I knew you had something up your sleeve...

I want to meet Damon! And get one of his wiring harnesses (definitely do the dedicated thread about it), I'd rather go standalone than mess with a double-fuel rail and the SMT-6.

Good gawd! I can't stop looking at your engine bay pictures mang. Can't wait to see it in October, cannot fuggin' wait! omfg.gif

Man, I am excited... lol.gif
CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

It's about time you opend this can of worms for everyone to see!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

LOOKS AMAZING!!!

I will keep in mind this harness... I am planning on a haltech anyway....

DO POST!!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

nice

let us know how it runs?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

wow it looks great, that is a really clean install. good job man.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I knew you couldn't keep it under wraps.

LOL

Lookin good bra.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

wow, that looks really freakin good.. im loving the heat shield and the plugnplay haltech the most.. its incredible.. great job.. fing02.gif

yeah the koyo makes a huge difference, although i need to find a way for air to get to the radiator cuz my IC blocks the big front opening, and i don't have any other openings in my front bumper.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!

SOCKS- yeah, I kind of have that problem a little as well, especially since I have a stock bumper. But my intercooler is not near as large as yours so my radiator gets some air at the top. Either way, the Koyo pretty much solved ALL my overheating issues.

Jay-M - I'll let everyone know how she runs after the dyno tune. So far, I am only running about 3.5 pounds right now and very rich to keep everything safe until we can really dial her in on the dyno. I can tell you this: She definitely has more power than stock at the moment and with the sequential injection, the car runs like stock. Very Very smooth. No idle issues at all either. And, since its such a small turbo, I start to get boost about 2100 RPM. Full boost around 2500-2700 RPM. So far its very responsive. I'm really looking forward to next week's tune to see what she'll actually do!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

hmm i remember you talking about the plug n play thing in pheonix i remember thinking to myself ya thats gnna take sometime. im glad you finaly did it!! car looks great. now its not gonna be i won the show cuz of rice its gnna be from the turbo tongue.gif haha keep the page updated ad more pics please