Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Mid Mount Turbo

Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Elantra
Default Mid Mount Turbo

Just wondering if this has been done.

I have seen Rear Mount Turbo setups, although I didn't think FWD cars did that very much... I really have no reasoning behind that.

It just seems like a lot of intake pipe to drag it back up the length of our cars, and I would assume you need to run a bigger turbo to fill all the pipeline.

My basic idea is mounting the turbo where the Cat is under the car. It would be inline with the exhaust, not require a new manifold and would limit under-hood modification. It wouldnt require a great deal more lenth of pipe to run.

From poking around the car and the theory behind turbos I see no reason it wouldn't work. Completely stupid idea or genius?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That is completely possible, and has been done.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 tibby

Uhmm not a bad idea don't expect any major gains if you do go with the idea i would run ceramic coated pipes to the intake.. as well as a very small intercooler just before your piping would go up to the intake
Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

That probably wont work to well, i am guessing you have never been under our cars, you would have to mount the turbo nearly touching the cars underbody, then that is a good 8 to 10 inchs of lower from the car plus that 1/2 from the car, your like 11 inchs of under hang, the canon at which the stock exhaust runs through is like 4 inchs max so now your turbo is going to be barely no touching the ground, you are probably lowered, so that makes it even worse, nothing better than getting hung up or tearing off your compressor housing and send compressor chunks into your engine... To me it is rear because there is room to tuck it Up behind the bumper, a mid mount sounds ight, till you think about where the f*ck your gonna stach the turbo under your car with proper clearance, cause your exhasut piping move alot, even though you dont really notice it!

Just my .02
Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I thought this thread was going to be about something different

Anyways, I agree with turboron. In addition to what he said, I'd feel a little uneasy putting such a hot and fragile item that close to the fuel tank. Granted the cat gets hot, but a turbocharger is considerably warmer. Also, oil/water lines would need to be run and pressurised.

I wonder whether an 02 sensor cares whether it is downstream of the turbo? I can't see it being a big issue, but it is worth thinking about.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tibby

Oil drain is the biggest problem I see
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I'm not sure what the underbody of the XD is like, but on an RD, mounting the turbo near the cat would be pretty tight. I love remote setups and if the next vehicle i get is NOT turbocharged it WILL be receiving a remote setup.

I was going to do one on the Jeep, but the only thing holding me back is concern about the internals.

Personally though, just mount it in the back where there is more room. I think right around where the stock muffler would be would be the best idea.

This is good for two reasons:
  • more space to mount everything
  • more piping to cool the charge

assume this will just be a fun street car, and not a race car? If so, the length of the piping isn't going to affect things much, the only thing it will affect is lag, since its a pressure system. Lag IS a good thing in some instances. If you ran a smaller turbo like a super 60 you would get all the great benefits of it with a little later spool of someone who had a traditional setup.

Considering the oil system..
  • electric pump for the return.. electric pump is cheaper than a turbo manifold. With a remote system, your engine bay will be very open and clean, just as it was N/A and also the temperatures in the bay will be cooler.
  • oil feed is same as traditional, just longer.. I would use a smaller line, even to compensate for the length.

Putting the turbo near the fuel tank; I don't see why that would be an issue unless you had it almost resting against the tank. there would be a TON of airflow under the car keeping it much cooler than in the engine bay. When you are idling, the turbo wont be that hot and if it is a couple inches from the tank you will never have to worry.

Ceramic coating the IC pipe? no way... non-coated pipes would be best, to allow the air to further cool the charge on its way to the TB. just make sure you aren't running the charge pipe RIGHT against the exhaust pipe.

If you use a smaller frame turbo like a super 60 and mount the SHAFT of the turbo parallel with the car you might be able to get the mid-mount setup working while keeping it mostly in the exhaust channel. if the turbo is any lower than where the exhaust will site, you might have issues scraping which you do NOT want to do with the turbo. A small cylindrical filter on the intake will be all you would need for an intake.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

This is why this forum > all other Hyundai forums!

The level of knowledge and expertise here is astonishing.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

This is basically what Duffer's systems did in the V6 Gk's.