Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Making Super charger manifold

Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Making Super charger manifold

i have had an extra intake manifold laying around for quite some time and have thought about choping it up to make a sc mani, however i have decided to just make one from scratch.

Here is my plan
- get a cnc made flange (making a copy from the one i have choped off from the old intake mani) minus the injector holes
- buy 1in diameter piping cut equal length pieces
- flatten to oval shape
- tack weld the runners to the flange
- buy 2in diameter piping for base part of mani
- cut holes on base
- mount the runners to base tack welding it
- buy used sc from ebay ( dont know which kind to buy iam turbo charged already and am told there is a certain type of supercharger that i should use)
- source a flange for the supercharger
- measure correct mounting distance for charger location
- tack weld flange in place

- send to a buddie of mine to weld it all up

Fab something up to get a belt on there.
- this will probably be the most problematic part because if all the manifold work wasn't aligned correctly the supercharge might not be in the correct position.

Purchase an injector plate

The above more than likely would end up in wasted time and money, however....

i have also thought about contacting the guy from ngm to see what a manifold from him would cost(prolly big bucks)
- his manifolds might not allow for enough space
- his manifolds are water to air cooled thats a big +
- his manifolds flange is more than likely going to be a different flange type than the one i choose

Used supercharger's are cheap off ebay, and iam positive i can make it better than an alpine kit.
- finding a good suitable supercharger for 5psi to 8-psi is what im looking for
- im sure i could also buy or get made different pulleys to changer psi.
- but buying one at the correct psi will make things all the easier

It might also be possible for me to take my car to this local tuner shop and get the manifold made.
- even if i paid 800-900 bucks for a water to air inter cooled manifold it would be worth it
- i would have to purchase the super charger before i took the car down there or else i wouldn't be able to get it properly aligned.

Possibility that they want to much money for the process of making a water to air inter cooled manifold
-water to air intercooler would be out of the question and would have to go with a non inter cooler manifold

See what it would cost for the local tuner shop to make something similar to hives creation.
- the guys at the local tuner shop will more than likely be able to make something like hives super charger manifold for about 600 bucks.
- 600 bucks wouldnt be to bad only if it was properly aligned.

I am currently only at 5psi turbocharged, and am running 11 to 1 compression. i was going to put a 10 psi spring in the wastegate and get it tuned, but i thought this would be a more interesting 10psi setup.
- this setup all together wouldn't be made to run above 10psi i know it sounds like a lot of time and money for only 10psi, but i think it will give me exactly what i want out of this car.

Please give me any insight you have about intake runner length and what type of supercharger i should use.
btw i have my mind set on this and i am fully prepared to be flamed, but this will get done 1 way or another.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Good Luck! I hope your using forged pistons...if not don't even waste your time with this pipe dream....lol

Seriously, your talking about A LOT of custom work which typically relates to A LOT of cash. Your money would be much better spent with low compression forged pistons and a properly sized turbo. I used to have a twin charged set up and it was a Beatch to tune. If I just touched the gas I would have an instant 10-15psi of boost depending on how far I pushed the pedal. If I floored it it would peg the boost gauge at 25psi. Compound charging is NOT something to be taken lightly. I had a 5psi S/C pulley and a 5psi wastegate spring and like I said it would peg the gauge at 25psi under wide open throttle. lol
Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM

iam not taking this lightly, and i plan on doing some serious motor work.

11:1 compression inst going to cut it anymore, and i am in the works of purchasing an alpine kit.
- fabrication would be almost definitely a fail if i did it all myself
- buying a used alpine at a decent price would suffice
- i have already checked to see if the tuner shop slowmotionmotorsports.com would even touch my car if this was done
(they would be tuning it)

i am curious tho..
i have researched quite a bit, and i was under the impression that in a compounded boost setup the turbo would put out 5psi and then the supercharger would compress that another 5 psi.

this is something i want to do, and i realize that tune is more difficult. regardless this wont stop me from trying to get this goal achieved.

and what kind of internal work did you have done to with stand 25psi and not have catastrophic failure.

This is a problem i didnt think i would have with a compounded setup and i would really like you to shed some light on the subject.
- how can i keep boost pressure down if possible.( i dont want a drag only car)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

QUOTE (iheartmyrd @ Sep 30 2010, 09:34 PM)
- buying a used alpine at a decent price would suffice

i am curious tho..
i have researched quite a bit, and i was under the impression that in a compounded boost setup the turbo would put out 5psi and then the supercharger would compress that another 5 psi.

and what kind of internal work did you have done to with stand 25psi and not have catastrophic failure.

you do realize you are asking the same guy that lost roughly 90k in bad business deals with alpine?

Knowing Dave he's had 10 times more work put into his engine that you do.

we told you the high compression setup you have on boost wouldn't work and now you are not happy with it. if you are going to listen to anyone in here pay damn close attention to what Dave says.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

im not the dave they speak of but here is my 2 pennies

IF you are set on attempting a s/c the way you have it setup

you WILL NOT have any way to cool the charge coming out of the s/c

my car originally started as a s/c project but i scrapped it on the fact that i had to depend on WAY to many people to make it happen

i would set it up like a thunderbird s/c, a remote supercharger with plenums on both sides then run charge pipe, and a intercooler but that would require massive amounts of pipe if your pushing for a compound setup
Old 10-01-2010, 02:31 AM

"we told you the high compression setup you have on boost wouldn't work and now you are not happy with it. if you are going to listen to anyone in here pay damn close attention to what Dave says."

so my car doesn't work all the sudden?

^^ where did i say i was unhappy with it, just because im going a different rout now doesn't mean i still dont think that was the best mod i ever did. i drove the car with 1.8 pistons at 11:1 compression for almost a year, im bored with it and yea im 100% positive i could up the boost to make more power on the setup i have. Whats the point in doing something thats so well documented, i can promise you there will always be a tib faster than mine . yea maybe i have never heard of a tib boosted with the compression i have, maybe someone has done it idk. but it definitely is not the norm. hell tanc's car would spin circles around mine, i honestly respect the work hes done. However i want more unique than fast.

i think you misunderstood me asking him a question as to questioning what he said, i wanted to know more detail. i wasn't questioning his credibility.

and yea faith i had thought about a remote setup but i have a different way im gunna try it now. if it dosnt work oh well it will be about 18 weeks until you see this thread pop up again.
-about the cooling factor i was thinking maybe if i can keep the boost down my egt's wouldn't be so high at 10psi.

03tibe85 did you try double gating the turbo manifold i was reading up on boost creep in compound setups, although this was on a completely different setup. im thinking i might gate it on both sides. this is something i will have to look into further.
i also just read that he used one light spring on one side 4psi and a 10psi spring on the other, he stayed at a steady 10psi.
he later changed it to something else to make 13-15 psi.