Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Maf Under Pressure Boost

Old 03-10-2006, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

arg, is there a way to edit titles, that should be maf under pressure of boost...

anyways does anyone know how bad it is to run a the maf under boost? by this I mean after the turbo.

really I'm trying to come up with a way to not have to recirculate my bov until i get a piggy back of some type. I'm only planning on running 5 psi right now and am going to be using my old cai temporarily anyways.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 PM

I wouldn't run the MAF after the turbo - the positive boost pressure will distort readings. You can run the BOV to atomsphere, you'll just run super rich during shifts.

Messing up MAF readings can make you run lean, venting the BOV to the atmosphere can only make you run rich. I'd pick the latter.

It seems like you are rushing things a bit anyhow. I'd wait until you have the cash and time to get it all put together correctly the first time, rather than ghetto-rigging it so you can run boost ASAP.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

what if to put MAF directly before TB?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Trust me, do shit right the first time. You might even want to wait and get a serious engine management system like a standalone.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Dmitry @ Mar 10 2006, 01:21 PM)
what if to put MAF directly before TB?

That puts the MAF under positive boost pressure.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

QUOTE (a_gut @ Mar 10 2006, 10:33 PM)
That puts the MAF under positive boost pressure.

it would be same amount of air going through the MAF, but air will not be that hot
Old 03-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

but our mafs cannot sense pressure. I agree with what 01importshark said. putting it before the turbo is essentially sucking all the moving air through the maf, while after turbo the air isnt as much moving as there being continuous pressure... i dont know if that makes sense, but it just doenst even seem like it would work well.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:37 PM

You can go with a normal BOV and put the MAF before the Compressor IF you adhere to the following guidelines.

The BOV must be closed 100% of the time, UNLESS
A. There is positive pressure in the charge piping
B. The Throttle body is closed,nearly closed.
The MAF must be at least 12" away from the Compressor/exhaust manifold. It must seperated via silocone connectors from any metal piping.

If you hook up your BOV the way most people do, it opens under vaccum and you suck in un metered air 90% of the time. The BOV only "closes" when it senses positive pressure. THIS IS WRONG. THIS IS RICE. This vents ANY positive pressure everytime there is intake manifold vacuum, and makes the fun "psssht" sound when you shift/let off the throtttle. This is the RICE way to hook up a BOV. It makes a lot of noise, and it's what 99% of people do. But it's not the RIGHT way to install/use a BOV.

The BOV must Vent ONLY POSITIVE PRESSURE, not stay open anytime there is intake manifold vacuum.
The ONLY purpose of a BOV is to vent the pressure wave that MAY form when you close the throttle butterfly. As such, your BOV should be set to open 1-2 PSI HIGHER than your wastegate. SO if your wastegate is set to 5psi, your BOV shouldn't open unless 6-7 PSI is regisgered in the Charge pipe betwen the TB and Compressor, and ONLY stay open long enought to vent that exess pressure. If the charge piping never registers that high of a boost spike. Guess what? It didn't need to open, and it shouldn't.