Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

A lot of people going turbo...

Old 07-22-2002, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 accent L

DanielG:
I don't know how to make a TV but i purchased a 36* already built a few months ago. Everything is fine so fare.
A turbo kit is not your ****in tv. You're TV isnt going to make your engine turn into a hyundai hand grenade if you dont know whats wrong with it, or even if something is wrong with it. There's a very good chance a turbo will. Your TV also didnt come as a kit that needs to be assembled, and probably needs other parts to make it truly complete, nor does it need hours of expensive dyno time to work right.

Like Mike said, buy a turbo car if you dont want to work. but to convert the accent to a turbo vehicle is a LOT more difficult.

Hey, here's an easy way out: find a turbo scoupe that works (good luck) and steal everything in the engine bay, then install that in your accent. Sure, the axles wont fit, and you'll need custom motor mounts, and probably other parts, but you'd have a relatively hassle free 115hp. rolleyes.gif
Old 07-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Red

Even those of us who have spent $1150+ uon a fully programmable computer, all replacement sensors and wiring harness still have issues getting it to work right.

This is not a plug-and-play slap-and-go setup. If you think you're gonna bolt this on and start driving, think again.

Most of my setbacks have been financial, as I am fully paying for the project in cash AND I'm getting every last part the very best that I can. I'm not doing anythind second rate, which means it takes a bit longer to do some of the discovery work getting around some of the issues. Between Random and myself collaborating, we'll probably have a fairly definitive guide for someone else to follow when we're through.

Don't ever compare something as drastic as a turbo upgrade to something like upgrading your TV. You don't just plop it down and plug it in...
Old 07-22-2002, 05:52 PM

What i was trying to say with my little TV storie is.....

If you have the money, you don't necessairly have to know how to do it your self.

I think saying *If you can't do it your self, don't do it* is going a little far.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:20 AM

A fool and his money... rolleyes.gif

I'm not saying have the mechanical skills necessary to install it all, i'm saying have a working knowledge of how the kit is supposed to work and perform. You should know what parts you need, and what parts you dont, and which are more reliable. In other words, you should be able to put together a nice grocery list of what you need/want before you plop down a large chunk of change at a shop and tell them to make it work.

You know how your TV works, right? You know what happens when its not working right? You know what features/size you wanted right? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif God forbid people try to learn and think for themselves anymore.

Tell ya what, gimme between US$3000 and US$5000 and I'll build you a DAMN complete *bolt-on* kit. Paypal me at skierd007@hotmail.com. smile.gif
Old 07-23-2002, 03:02 AM

skierd:

Tell ya what, gimme between US$3000 and US$5000 and I'll build you a DAMN complete *bolt-on* kit. Paypal me at skierd007@hotmail.com. smile.gif
Don't listen to him! I paypaled him a penny and haven't seen **** since!

Old 07-23-2002, 03:12 AM

Still trying to get the other 2999.99 together. tongue.gif
Old 07-23-2002, 04:19 AM

If you have a few thousand, yes you could get someone to slap ona turbo and tune it up right. expect the car not to be in your possession for 6 months.

Also since the car is no longer factory spec and is magorly customized, I would right up some contract that he will service the car for rest of the cars life. being he would be the only one knowing exactly what was done.

Yes, you could get some t pu tthe turbo and get it running. But say it breaks downin 3 years, and that guy is no place to be found. You will probably end up spenidn ghalf the price you paid putting it in, on someone to learn how the car works for a week and then rape you on charges to fix it. speciall if a special fabricated piece broke.

moddifying a car requires alot of hands on knowledge and exp. No one will know you car nor will they be able to help you fix it.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:27 PM
QS

If you dont have the knowledge to put a kit together yourself, you should not turbocharge your car. If you are too lazy to piece together a kit, you'll probably be too lazy or cheap to have the *complete* kit installed correctly and tuned right. IN MY OPINION. Get a list of what you want together, then start buying the parts

Thats why you get a company that has already turbo'ed the car, get their facts...Pros an cons of differnt items, an use their set up their KIT. Instead of buying piece by piece then parting it together, modifiying it to fit, fabricate some more things, then tuning it, then tune some more. Get a kit that has already been put to the test, then tune it to your cars benefit. Of course there will be hurdles to over come, no ****.
I see Tiburons a Accents turbocharged all the time on TV, whats up with this info relay.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:03 AM

turbo charging a non turbo charged car is like converting a black and white tv to color.
..Exactly...thats why ive decided to cut the bull**** and trade-in for a mitsu
Old 08-09-2002, 04:37 AM

One thing I've noticed, we've been given feedback about the Alpine kit...but I never got to hear about one from Ballistics (And probably wont hear about it since they split up, but maybe the CNK Turbo kit will up it) And lastly RPW, never heard of anyones experience with their kit...anyone?