Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Intercooler efficiency vs. flow

Old 10-22-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 tiburon fx
Default Intercooler efficiency vs. flow

I've got one of the CX Racing 22x7x2.25 air to air coolers. I've got a Turbonetics T3 60 series turbo. I know its only rated at around a couple hundred horses but i'm curious if that's just the range that it'll efficiently cool? For the street this would be fine just running low boost but i'm thinking could I run a water/meth injection and extend it past the rating? At what point does it become a restriction?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

You can't really base IC effiency off hp numbers, it's more lbs/min I.e flow/ ambient temp

Most people get IC's much bigger than what's needed for their setup. Sadly most just go off of which one will fill the grill best and forget bigger IC=increased lag

The one you listed will be plenty efficient on that turbo @15psi, I can't imagine your gonna go any higher than that.

Unless your tracking the car and constantly in boost? How much psi are you planning on running?

The only reason to run a water/meth set up is to control CC temps and gain the ability to advance timing in boost. Unless your running completely unintercooled the only reason for this is to squeeze some extra power out up top.

If your at the point that you have to run meth to compensate for the iat, then it's time to get a more efficient IC.

If you have a way to monitor your iat temps, it will tell you everything you need to know