Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Intake On Turbo

Old 05-05-2006, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I just recently had my intake for my turbo moved to the fender behind my front bumper same location AEM intakes locate the filter.

Anyway I am using 3" piping and a Cone filter.

I now have a weird sound that I am getting when I spool up the turbo to around 15 psi then let off, bov opens up and I also get another sound thats coming from the intake. It sounds very weird hard to explain it...Almost like compressor surge.

Now I don't think its compressor surge because I was not getting it when I just had the filter right on the turbo. And the only thing changed in the setup was air filter location and the piping from turbo-air filter.

I thought it might have been the filter just sucking in but the sound only comes when I let off the throttle/boost.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If it's a high pitched futtering sound, then it's compressor surge. You're gonna get a little, even with a BOV.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

i get it to sounds like a shh tat cha cha cha cha, right i got a BOV and Extrnal waste gate and it had always done it lmao.gif
Old 05-05-2006, 08:40 AM

QUOTE (JonGTR @ May 5 2006, 10:38 AM)
If it's a high pitched futtering sound, then it's compressor surge. You're gonna get a little, even with a BOV.

Its not high pitched. But sounds like a rough flutter

How come I wasn't hearing it or getting surge when I had the filter just on the turbo?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:39 PM

You may have had it all along but due to resinance and amplifications due to you runner tube you might be able to hear it now.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Alright I tried adjusting BOV and it didn't help at all.

I tried removing the intake piping again and bam cant *hear* or I am not getting the surge anymore.

I did some searching on the net for compressor surge and GT3071R and came across this explanation with suge and the this turbo I am using

"Essentially what is happening during surge is the air going into the compressor doesn't have enough speed and momentum behind it.

Since we are not (with modern turbos) dealing with just radial staight blades on the compressor, we need air velocity over the blades to help generate more pressure difference.

If we lose that (air) speed, the pressure difference is so great that the air stalls altogether, and escapes out through the inlet.

Then it rushes back in and the cycle happens all over again, which is when you hearing fluttering and pulsing."

Opinions.....
Old 05-06-2006, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

people here say its because all three of us have "big" turbos you got a gt30 i got a rx6 and viper i belive has a gt35... i know one thing it make the rice scared as poop poop over here lmao.gif