Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Injectors For Turbo Setup

Old 08-25-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Do a compression test, thatll tell you what kind of condition the combustion chamber is in.

with new pistons youll have to hone out the combustion chamber, and with the new head youll be in pretty good shape; but i remember you wanted low boost and around 200whp. which doesnt require a low comp combustion chamber, keeping your stock compression will keep that low end torque off boost that makes it easy to get around town and what made it somewhat fun to drive without boost.

So what would be a good idea is to just work with the engine you have, turbo it, stay with stock compression but build up a (newer) engine on the side with some low comp pistons and the new head and such, this way if/when something goes kapoot, its a simple swap. Which reduces your downtime since its your daily.

As a better mod, on top of all this, i'd suggest you go out and buy the cheapest car you can find that runs reliably. Dont give a hoot what it looks like, just have it in case something expensive breaks and you need some time to get some cash together, or in case something breaks an hour before you need to go to work.

Mine was a pink 95 accent that had ~85 horsepower to the wheels at its peak lol.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Well if all goes bad I gotta 2003 jeep cherokee ( wifes ) that I could use. I have a question for you though>.. Is there a way to lower the boost on a 14b turbo ? I've tried to research it and cant find anything. Its funny because I had planned on buying an engine from the junk yard and doing the work to it on the side and swapping it over to raise boost after a while.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:49 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

There is not way to lower the boost on a 14b unless you get a different actuator for it.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

my recommendation is to do it in small steps. and plan for your car to be down 4x long that you think it will be. And expect everything to cost twice as much as you think it will... lol. I know it sounds discouraging but it's worth it in the end.

I started out like you with 3 psi and have worked up to 10 psi. At which point I blew my clutch. I'm now looking for a new clutch to put in and then I'll bump it up to 12. fing02.gif

btw, there are other paths besides the dual rail, I've not used it and I'm sure it works great. But I didn't want to go that route and am doing fine without.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:12 AM

What componets can I add as I buy..obviously not a turbo or intercooler...but like a FPR or higher flow injectors ? I was thinking about going with the ford green tops but I dont know how well it would work with the SMT-6 without boost/
Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 AM

1. fuel pump - probably 190lph
2. take care of cooling - move fans to accommodate turbo - I'm still moving my fans to the front of the radiator.... mad.gif
3. weld in oil pan fitting (full saturday project)
4. test fit turbo, clock it etc. maybe do return line at the same time.
5. possibly hook up turbo direct (no ic) and just run 3-5 psi. (look into getting a rebuilt turbo like a t3 instead of the 14b, so it will be easily adjustable) at that level fuel tuning isn't an issue
6. buy or fab up pipes.
7. setup fuel management - smt6 emanage etc. - you can run it with no change if your going to have someone else tune it
8. etc.

just break it down in to small task. If you tried to do all that at once it would be a huge ordeal. The first couple could easily be done in 1-2 saturdays and wouldn't affect the running of the car.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Do i need to buy different fans ? Also can you show a picture of the fan setup in your car.. I've been trying to figure out what type of fuel pressure regulator would be necessary, Could one from an eclipse be fabbed to work ?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:44 PM

just use the stock fpr. You don't need to swap it till you get past a 190 lph pump. I'm thinking the 190 lph pump will be able to handle up to 300 or so hp, which looks like the roof on either of our projects.

get some slim fans from autozone, summit, where ever. I'm putting fans on the front of my radiator so i'll have a cleaner engine bay and more space. Right now I just have the a/c fan on the drivers side. NOT ENOUGH COOLING!! sucks.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah i have one fan inside the engine bay and one outside, i considered moving both to the outside but considering im moving to FL, ill prolly just add another fan on the outside and rock 3 haha.

That along with a Koyo should handle the southern heat.

And supercow u knowzers teh dual railz is teh roxors wink1.gif
Old 08-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Alright I think I shoudl be able to get the gsx fuel pump pretty cheap atta junk yard around here. Where would be the best place to get a SMT-6? Would it matter if its used? I've been checking some forums out but no such luck yet. I plan on selling my SAFC2 or trading it along with soem cash for an SMT-6.