Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

IHI turbo kit?

Old 06-15-2002, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IHI turbo kit?

I'm thinking about pieceing together a IHI turbo setup. So i can push about 200whp or so without too mutch engine trouble and have it spool very early.

What sort of parts would i need and the approx cost for it? Can i use my s-afc for it?

so far i have
1.IHI turbo $200+-
2.s-afc(already have)
3.440cc injectors($?)
4.custom piping($?)
5.fuel pump(already have)
6.champion manifold(will it fit $?)

thankx guys
Old 06-16-2002, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I'm not sure if the IHI will fit the champion manifold. If I remember right, it doesn't. That means you have to fit a adapter sandwich bracket between the manifold and the turbo, but I'm not sure if that is even possible with the IHI and the champion manifold.

Cheuk would know for sure.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:09 PM

The only way an IHI will fit is if you get the T3 style flange IHI. MST has one.

Umm...But 90% of the rest of the IHI turbos wont fit the champion manifold.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:58 PM

why would you need a sfmu? i know a couple other people managed to get a turbo working with a s-afc so you could probably rig it with some larger injectors. Is there anything different on a IHI that i don't know about?

Oh, i'm also looking for about the same setup, low boost mabye aroud 200whp output, rock solid stability. nothing too drastic. mabye some nos if I race but just around town quick power wink
Old 06-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Nitrous Oxide:
OR Merkur XT...something... smile.gif
XR4Ti is the model name you are looking for. They were fairly rare, so good luck finding a downpipe from one. The T-bird turbo coupe is probably your best bet, as it was produced in the biggest numbers. You also might want to look into the Ford Mustang SVO (88/89). That had the same I4 turbo that the T-Bird Turbo Coupe's had.

Nitrous Oxide:
I need
Vacuum Canister and One Way Valve(for neg pressure)
MSD ignition(if needed)
BOV
DOWNPIPE
exhaust piping & IC pipng(thinking about using HUGE 3" radiator hose if it's available)
SFMU-fuel management unit
anything else i missed??? let me know

PLEASE let me know where i can find INJECTORS for cheap. i mean cheapest possible smile.gif
For cheap injectors, check out Lucas injectors. You can source them through Chris (UFB) of Ballastics Racing.

Keep your intercooler piping as small as possible, especially on a low boost setup. Go with 2" piping. 3" piping my look cool, but just increases the internal volume of air that must be pressureized before boost is really seen. In other words...it makes your turbo lag worse. To make life easy on yourself, buy several 90 degree silocone connectors. Then buy 180 degree tubing bends, and normal silocone connectors. you should be able to rig up the plumbing off that using just the 90 degree elbows, and portions of the 180 degreee bends. (trying to save ya money here)

For a BOV, Turbo-XS makes some fairly cheap, fairly reliable units.

What would you do with a 3" radiator hose? Where would you connect it? The stock connection points are not that big.

You should not need the MSD ignition. It is an option to go with the MSD DIS-2, DIS-2 HO (you need their HO coils if you do), or the DIS-2 digital/programmable). However, for the cost of an S-AFC, and the MSD DIS-2 Programmable, you are nearly at the cost of a Haltec.

You should not need a vacuum canister, as there is one built into the stock vacuum system, however a 1 way valve does help the brakes when it is necessary to go from boost to brakes rapidly. I just used a PCV valve.

SFMU could be replaced by a S-AFC. You should also add in a RRFPR or an adjustable FPR.