Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Bare minimal for turbo?

Old 04-15-2002, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bare minimal for turbo?

Hi, wat is the bare minimal setup required for a turbo (eg low boost type) Accent LC

Turbo unit
Piping
SAFC
Exhuast manifold
Modded exhaust system
Injectors

No intercooler (low boost)
No PBV (no return)
No BOV
Old 04-15-2002, 02:46 AM

well, I'd still run a small intercooler and BOV (get a used one off a DSM car).

The SAFC and larger (440 cc/min) injectors should be good for 5 psi with no fuel pressure bump.

Don't forget piping, oil lines, and gauges. All are necessary, and they can add up to more than some of the other components (my oil lines cost more than my turbo!)

ac
Old 04-15-2002, 02:55 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

It depends on how reliable you want the car to be.

I DEFINITELY suggest an intercooler, no matter the boost. Compressing air makes it hot, cooling it back off makes it work better and have more power. Also, a BOV will extend the life of the turbo, get one.

I suggest a Garret T25 or Td04-15g turbocharger. Wastegate set to 7psi. 2.5" exhaust piping. I DO NOT recommend the S-AFC controller, as its doesnt have the capabilities to really control the fuel curves to the point required with a turbo. You will need larger injectors; I plan on using 440cc ones on my LC. Manifold will most likely have to be custom.

You will also need a fuel pump and a way to increase fuel pressure. What engine does your LC have? Do you know if its a returnless fuel system or not? Whats a PBV? I'm only familiar with US spec LC accents...
Old 04-15-2002, 03:35 AM
Red

Actually, on a returnless fuel system, your ONLY option is an S-AFC. You cannot modify the fuel with higher pressure because that would require messing with the pump and internal regulator.

The S-AFC is more than happy adjusting for boost, whether it be a turbo or a supercharger. In fact, it's usually a LOT more reliable than any 5th injector setup. Onpol's 220+ WHP self-built turbo project ran with 440's and an S-AFC very reliably for about six months... Can Alpine make a similar claim? Nope, not to the tune of 220WHP they can't.

Sure there are better options. Just not cheap and easy ones that work as well.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:17 AM

Vehicle: 00 elantra

Not to be cheap with my car or anything but... rolleyes.gif How cheap do you think you can set every thing up for (anyone)? Maybe ganking the turbo from a salvage yard, order the exhaust manifold, custom piping, used BOV, order injectors, order fuel pump, buy oil lines, and I guess buying anything else needed... Have a friend who can get just get a used turbo for next to nothing. And I don't need a stage 2 kit from kore... even though it would be nice. smile.gif
Old 04-15-2002, 09:22 AM

Random, Even with the 440cc and the SAFC, Me and Unq2 had a problem.

Sometimes the comptuer would get bitch and idle, and throw a CEL, low rpm, even thou it ran fine at 800rpms. And it will sit there and keep reving itself. Very odd, and very annoying if you are pulling into a parking lot and things sitting reving itself.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:49 AM

its definately returnless...and its only 1.3
well maybe i've left out the cooling for the turbo...
Old 04-15-2002, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Red-Make up your damn mind about the s-afc. One day you hate it, the next you love it, lol.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Red

No, I HAVE made up my mind.

Dig up EVERY LAST POST that I've ever made about the S-AFC, and you'll see that I'm VERY consistant.

The S-AFC is more than fine for low-boost cheap upgrades and do-it-yourself kits. It's also a good thing for the lower-boost kits as a replacement for the 5th injector. It is NOT the answer for someone wanting more than about 230 wheel horsepower every day reliably.

And as for check engine lights, yes it's going to happen. There's nothing you can do about it; applying double the stock horsepower through the stock computer is always going to cause a CEL. Deal with it.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:04 AM

*THUD*
*Decker dodges red's foot as he puts it down*

lol smile.gif