Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

E-RAM results

Old 06-03-2002, 01:21 AM
BV1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-RAM results

Alright, tried the E-RAM this weekend. I didnt bring it to the dyno, However I have pics of the install however if your interested. I did about 10 G-TECH runs with and without it on the same stretch of road.

The E-RAM should be mounted behind the MAF on MAF cars as it WILL screw up the reading significantly.

On the MAP based accent GSi, the MAP sensor reads a +.9 psi at idle and a +.3 psi at WOT (6000 RPM). It gives about 4-5 WHP on the accent and I read as high as 12 WHP on the Tiburon. However consistently I was reading 8 WHP, 138 to the wheels with it and 130 WHP without the E-RAM (with 2900 lbs wieght entered). Keep in mind that my tiburon has a full breather system (I/H/E). The accent just had the CAI.

I couldnt feel the E-RAM power up when I turned it on, however at high RPM the car did not lose power as it normally would, the power stayed strong until redline (6500 RPM).

The E-RAM draws only about 30 AMPs when working at WOT, but at idle if turned on, it could blow the fuse, as its working harder drawing the whole 50. Also the inline fuse provided with the E-RAM is crap, the fuseholder burnt out on the first run. Not the fuse, the fuse holder. Couldnt figured it out, there was conductivty through the fuse holder, but the internal resistance had climbed so high that it would only let about 1 amp though.... So it got cutout, smile.gif .

Also the current that the E-RAM draws comes entirely from your alternator, not your battery like the site claims. Your alternator is CHARGING your battery at around 14.3 V. Your battery with the car off is at most 13.0 V. With the E-RAM on the system voltage with the car running, dropped to about 13.9-14.0, meaning that no power was being drawn from the battery, also you could feel the alternator working harder when you powered it up. (As if the dim interior lights didnt give it away).

All in all, I would go with a more dependable, consistent modification, for the money it costs. I had the E-RAM blow off the CAI twice, and the results were not consistent. I dont think the ECU likes it either, but it did provide the gains it claimed, but I wonder how long it can provide them before burning out?

For now, the E-RAM is being mounted on the accent GSi.

-Steve
Old 06-03-2002, 01:29 AM

Now we just have to figure out how to wire the 'Fast Abs' to run off the alternator
Old 06-03-2002, 01:42 AM

i would like to see some of the install photo's.

So your opinion, for the $300, do you think its worth it?
Old 06-03-2002, 04:03 AM
BV1

I would sooner buy an S-AFC then an E-RAM. I am willing to bet, that I could manufacture an "E-RAM" for LESS then 1/3 what they are asking. It appears the motor they are using to power it is also used in some RC applications (High performance radio controlled cars). I am looking into it.

-Steve
Old 06-03-2002, 06:20 AM

hehehe, already have a s-afc smile.gif
I beleive the engine model they are using is for a RC airplane. I may be wrong tho.

I'll give ya $100 for the eram wink wink
Old 06-03-2002, 11:21 AM

There is a thing in rc model aiplane called a ducted fan unit that i've always wondered if it would work here are the specs 4.5 newtons equals about 1 lb and only costs $40
Duct outer diameter: 79mm
Overall outer diameter of mounting flange: 86mm
Duct length: 45.5mm
Weight: Not available
Approx. Thrust (AP29L Special Motor and 7-cell battery) - 4.45 Newtons

also that would be 8.4 volts
and this one is small as there are ones as big as 6 inches in diameter but reguire alot of power to drive them

Old 06-03-2002, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

What the "life" of one of those motors in hours?
Old 06-03-2002, 04:30 PM

BV1:
I read as high as 12 WHP on the Tiburon. However consistently I was reading 8 WHP, 138 to the wheels with it and 130 WHP without the E-RAM (with 2900 lbs wieght entered). Keep in mind that my tiburon has a full breather system (I/H/E).
Kudos for being the test rat! So the E-ram gave a consistant 6% increase on the beta. That's not bad.

Why do you think you had problems with the E-ram popping off on the tib?

Did you talk to Brian about any of your results?
Old 06-04-2002, 01:55 AM

In An Rc Aplication it would very on the voltage the motor was designed for and how Xtreme the motor is as some turn 50,000 rpm's on 7.2 volts as these are extremely strong electric motors
for life expectency it would be a hard guess
but since the brushes can be replaced and you could put hard brushes in it
so it would be many hours
Old 06-04-2002, 02:26 AM

for 40 bucks and and a couple hours in the back yard. Hell 1psi is better then nothing but what about when you not at "boost".. HMMM could use it to charge the battery with a couple of diods thrown in the mix. LOL FREE ENEGERY
(yea right first law of thermel dynamics. YOU CAN'T win) Second Law You can't even break even
and the third
Unless your Cher (damn she still looks good at almost 60)