Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

i really want boost

Old 06-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon
Default i really want boost

i really want to boost my tib but im afraid it wont be a good idea because i have almost 160,000 miles on it, original engine and transmission. i dont have any problems with the car and right now i just have the regular bolt ons. im afraid turboing it will cause issues and the engine may be too old for that much power. i would only want 250-300 horses at the most. should i maybe look around for a beta 1 that has low miles on it and do a swap?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

first off, do a compression and leak down test.. your engine still could be in pretty good condition for lower boost levels and still last close to as long as it would have N/A depending on your driving.

secondly, if your wanting 250-300hp, even if your numbers/reults are decent from the compression/leak down test, I would still get a lower milage beta I or II and swap it in before boosting.

ONLY 300 and 160,000 miles on engine/transmission don't seem like they would work well together.

5-speed or auto?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Regardless of your motor's condition, it sounds like you would be in knee deep doodoo if a problem arose. If this is your only transportation and you're worried about it falling apart, then I'd have a spare motor handy. Or better yet, don't turbo the car.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

a bit OT but are turbo'd cars really that *fragile*? can't they be a daily driver?

i'm currently doing an N/A daily driver build just because i have fears that a trubo'd tib would constantly breakdown.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If you take your time and are very knowledgable, then yes, it can be a daily. But, does the OP seem to be such a person? Are you? Chances are, you're going to forget something, or not build something up to par which causes the car to be down for a few days.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

Originally Posted by JonGTR
If you take your time and are very knowledgable, then yes, it can be a daily. But, does the OP seem to be such a person? Are you? Chances are, you're going to forget something, or not build something up to par which causes the car to be down for a few days.

and this is exactly why i'm going N/A. my knowledge isn't up to par to handle turbo builds. N/A much easier for a new guy like me
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

the reason most people recommend other sources of transportation and such and the whole 'turbo cars are fragile' dealio arose is because most people don't think far enough ahead and do things right the first time or have shitty shops do the work, etc. and they run into a TON of issues..

if you take your time, spend money where you need to and can plan for a few days of down time to do it right, double and triple check things and troubleshoot, you can have a daily driver turbo car for sure.

if you just try and slap on a 'kit' without fueling, tuning, quality parts and troubleshoot things you are going to have huge issues.

common issues are people using junk parts, tapping oil return to low, hooking things up wrong, incomplete systems, beating on the car without a tune, the list goes on.

there really isn't THAT much that needs to be learned about turbo systems and boosting a car.. 95% of the information is already out there and issues already worked out.. you just need to follow someone elses lead and don't cut corners.

another big thing that i would recommend is if you are going to do everything (clutch, fuel system, tuning, fuel pump, turbo kit, radiator, etc.) do each item one at a time and make sure it works..

for example:

install the fuel system (FPR and such) and the fuel pump, adjust pressure, drive for a few days and make sure things work well.

install radiator and make sure no leaks, overheating, etc.

install FIC without any adjustments and make sure car drives and runs fine without CELS

install clutch and break it in...

THEN install turbo system.. this helps with troubleshooting.. if you do everything at one time, and have issues you will have to figure out if its the injector scaling, FPR, fuel pump or FIC causing an issue instead of nailing it down to the last thing installed..

sorry for the run on post, just trying to take some of the 'fear' out of boosting
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Just for the Facts, Im Boosted and beat daily, yes it was built to be beat, but before the built motor, i was running 12psi making 260ish WHP and Daily driven and beat on way more than now!

Never did it fail me once, just had oil rings start crapping out, which sparked the the turbo motor build!

SO yea, Compression test, if all checks out good, go for it, boost it just take your time and do it right. Also having another car during the build atleast would be nice, things like installing the piggyback and doing the manifold and getting the turbo in line where you want and getting the Downpipe made can take some time. So if you need to get some where have a back up ride you can borrow from a friend or something!