Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Fuel Delivery Problem

Old 12-26-2006, 09:02 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished up installing a turbo system with 525cc inj., aem fpr, and walbro 255lph pump.

I turned the car on and the fp was at 30psi and dropped at a moderate speed to 10psi. After a minute or two at 10psi the car shut off. I should note that there was a serious fuel leak during that time in the delivery line to the fpr from the fuel filter. After I fixed that up, I tried to start the car again and the car wouldn't start up. I went to the gas station and filled up a small gas can and threw some more gas in there (because a hell of alot came out through that leak.) I tried to start it up after that and the fp was at 0psi so obvisouly it wouldnt start. So, I disconnected the fuel line that leaked earlier and there was absouletely no fuel in it what so ever, which tells me that there is no fuel getting (at least) past the fuel filter.

I checked the voltage on the wiring connecters for the fuel pump and everything was ok, so I knew there was no blown fuse. I also considered that there was clogging in the fuel filter or the filter on the bottom of the pump. I do not think this is the case considering it ran perfectly fine before I put the car in the garage and the pump filter was brand knew. The only other thing I can come up with is a bad pump.

Any inputs before I waste time and money?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 01:24 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Can you hear the fuel pump running?

Also, crank the car a couple times and see if your getting any pressure.

Are all your lines connected properly with no leak?

After checking ^^^ I would throw the stock fuel pump back in and see if you can get any pressure in the lines. If you do, you know your problem.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:11 AM

Can't hear the pump running, but I couldn't hear it running when I managed to get the car started either. I'll try switching out the pump today.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ye I'd try that. You should be able to hear a 255lph pump, especially with the backseats out.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: Had 96 Elantra Wagon

Copule things to check would be to see if the pump became disconnected inside the tank, also be sure to check the fuse and the relay. The fuel system isn't really that complex in these cars.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:40 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

yeah, the 255lph fuel pump is way louder than stock.. you should hear a whiring when you put the key on the ign1 position on the ignition

is it a new walbro pump? where did you get it?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

sounds like a bad pump too me or your not getting power to it . like jay-m say as soon as you turn the key to the on postion you should hear the pump put pressure on the system and your FPR should read 42 to 52 depend on you setup
Old 12-27-2006, 02:28 PM

Well I started trouble shooting today and I think I know whats going on.

Firstly when I started working on the pump hatch nothing came out of the return line but the feed line from the pump was pressurized. So i closed the hatch and checked out the fuel filter. The top line on the fuel filter also was pressurized. So this confused me and I started to think. After a few minutes it hit me. Maybe the in and out line on the fpr are switched.

Can anyone tell me: Is the fuel line that connects the fpr to the fuel line right below the rail (the line with the banjo bolt) supposed to be the in or the out line?

I would have just switched the two and tried my theory, but the bolt in my fuel filter was stripped so I have to go buy a new filter before I can turn the car on.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:55 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

here's the system..
fuel tank ---fuel pump---fuel line--fuel filter--fuel line--fuel rail---fpr--fuel line--fuel tank

the pressure hsoe is the one coming oput of the fuel filter and going to the fuel rail (2 bolts flanges on the dirver side)
return lline starts from the FPR (the banjo bolt your speaking about) and goes toward the driver side of the car right under the fuel rail but the hose is hooked up with a hose clamp,no flange
so it<s quite hard to mix them unless you cutted your fuel hoses
Old 12-27-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

DSM'ers have problems with the wheelbarrows all the time. Probably not many complaints here because we don't have the number of people using them they do.