Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

fmic piping

Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

I got it, and apparently gonna have to make good friends with the local tig welding shops, lol. Or take up brazing as a hobby for a bit!

And as I was shown by a local Rat Rod guy, use those swimming noodles and welding rods to make a template of any piping, and bend it whatever way for a pretty much exact fit.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Originally Posted by daytonmvp23
You defiently want the cross flow intercooler the one where the tubing is not on the same end. It enables the most efficient transfer of air

How sure are you of this, exactly?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

no welds, but heres the piping for the kits i sell:

one of the pipes on the cold side is replaced by the MAF and the one piece with the 'port' on it is a BOV adapter.

most efficient, no.. cheapest way, probably.. the way i figure it is that most of the people with turbocharged tibs aren't racing them anyway, at least competitively. and i KNOW that shorter piping is better and welds are better than couplers for a few reasons, but the bit of efficiency that you lose by a full 'coupler' setup wont even be noticied by most people (unless you don't tighten it and pop a coupler off, lol) also leaves room for adjustment by using couplers, where as if you changed anything small with a welded pipe setup, you have to get it modified.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Actually that isn't a bad setup. And for hardcore racing apps I would probably limit the setup to 2 solid intercooler pipes. I like couplers because they make the system easier to install. And like you I don't see the need unless you are making a speed record car! I mean properly installed silicone couplers should hold even some of the meanest big bodied turbos on the market.

As for the reference above Mechanix the equation is more complex but in general the best performing intercooler is a decent size crossflow with exception to somethign doing limited run times like drag racing. This is because they have the best trade off between pressure drop, temperature drop, and cost. The important thing is choosing a quality built unit. I mean we could talk the difference between fin and tube, bar and plate, etc but I think I posted a good link to the wonderful equations previously for those who really want to dive into it. And if you want I have some good links for turbo applications like efficency maps, as well as links to more advanced topics such as laminar flow and turbelence I can find on my old computer.

Keeping it simple though most cars under 300hp work best with 2in to 2.5 inch intercooler piping. with a good crossflow/straight flowing intercooler that is long enough to get the biggest percentage drop in temperature over a given area most 4 cylinder turbo 2.0 cars ends up being a 20 to 28 incj in length by 4 to 8 inch in height and 2.5 to 3 inch in width and that is generally good up to builds most anyone would attempt or fathom. Of course this is if you also upgrade everything else that needs upgrade as well.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

Hey Socks, how much do you charge for one of those piping kits? Getting the intercooler from warp21.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

+2 for price on the piping kit as I already have the turbo and intercooler I am going to be using. Would prefer 2.25 inch pipes but could do 2.5 inch pipes. Always looking to support people who are helpful on the forums
Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

haven't ever priced out to sell the Intercooler piping kit seperately.

I will go ahead and look at what I can do for the piping kit or piping + intercooler. I am assuming you both would want everything, including the BOV, couplers, and all clamps?

i can also do 2.25" piping if you would like that instead.

the issue with one of my piping kits with you guys would be that the piping is cut to be used with the treadstone manifold. assuming you guys have a different manifold or choice for a manifold, that would put the compressor outlet in a different position requiring a different configuration for that pipe.

pricing would be as follows with either 2.25" or 2.5" piping

With intercooler: 430$ shipped to your door

Without intercooler: 340$ shipped to your door

The kit will contain everything needed for the intercooler system including the following:

bar and plate intercooler: Core Size: 21"X6"X2.5", Overall Size: 27"x6"x2.5"

pre-cut 2.5" (or 2.25") 2mm thick aluminum piping (mandrel bent)

all couplers including bends and reducers (3-ply) black or blue

all stainless steel t-bolt clamps neccesary for the turbo, MAF, TB, etc.

BOV kit with adapter, gaskets, hardware and vacuum line

turbo inlet coupler and clamps (will need inlet size of turbo)

as always, shipping is included in the pricing as long as you are in the 48 contiguous states.

Also will give you all the support on the products that you might need as well as labelled pipes so you know where they go.

But before anything, I would have to find out how to get the turbo outlet pipe to match up with your guys manifolds unless you wanted raw piping and to cut it all yourself.