Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

fmic piping

Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I love it when people come in here and say one way is better than another without providing proof. most of the time, we are dealing in terms of 5HP less/more or 5 degrees less/more.

Dave, in terms of "laying dimes" like that i have no problems doing it. the only problem i have is my TIG welder is DC only so i can't weld on aluminum. at the time the grand more just to weld aluminum didnt seem fitting to pay for but now i feel sometimes i kick myself in the shorts cause i have missed several "play money" jobs just because it was fricking aluminum.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2006 Kia Spectra5

Powder coating was done at Rainier Powder Coating in Pacific ... near Auburn. Guys name is Jeff Cortez and he does great work and is real affordable.

253-332-8179 --- tell him the Guy with the Black turbo Spectra, sent you :biggrin:

As for the cross-flow IC being better then what I have ... try again. I have more wetted area then most cross-flow inter-coolers that you see fitted to our cars. There is less pressure drop too. Not everyone can fit them, but if you can they sure simplify the install. They also cut the amount of tubing used almost in half ... another gain over a cross-flow.

About the MAF ... if you set the BOV before a pressurized MAF its fine, no need for the extra work, money and time to plumb it back in. Mine is set about 12" after the turbo outlet, before it goes into the intercooler. I think Ricky did damm good job, and Spectra's have half the room a Tiburon has and 2/3's what an Elantra has, so yea ... its a good set up that would have been a cluster if done the "Normal Way".

FYI ... the red piping ... that's all of it :biggrin:
Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Elantra

Greg that is a pretty setup.

One thing I try to do is limit the amount of couplers in the system by welding. 4 couplers max unless its maf then its 6. Less places for boost leaks, less chance for one to blow off under high boost, and IMO its prettier. And use t-bolt clamps.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Here is a link to a decent explanation of intercooler theory which does a good job at making sure it is in real world language and not engineering dialect. http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/techFAQ.html In a nut shell though you want the intercooler and piping with the most straight foward flow available. Don't believe me take a straight through designed intercooler and blow hot air through it and measure both the exit side temp and pressure drop. Then do the same with the one in thie picture above. Then plug in the equations from this site http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/intercooler.html (I am not doing all the equation typing.) In short some of the worst built ebay straight through designs restrict flow less and drop intake temps as good as the 180 designs like pictured above.

Also even though the BOV doesn't throw a code it does hurt performance. Best setup is running the MAF before the turbo and routing a bypass valve preferably as close to the throttle body as practical and back between the turbo and MAF sensor. Reason being that if you route a bypass valve back within the system is that it allows you to keep more pressure in the system. Running a BOV vents directly into the atmosphere meaning all the boost the turbo built up is wasted/vented into the air instead of maintained through the system. Why wouldn't you want the ability to have full boost sooner? However it would require rewiring the MAF on these cars to the other side of the car but the setup is still as effective if you just put the return line back between the air filter and turbo inlet. Want more proof anyone who has the BOV setup already can get a cheap diverter and connector with an extra usually 1/2 or 3/4 inch inlet hole in it, hose barb of the same size, and the appropriate size hose length and diameter. Warm up car for a set duration run with the BOV since the computer is already setup to handle the BOV no adjustment time is needed do a couple runs with the BOV to get a consistant average. Then swap out to the other setup and warm up car for the same duration and then run a couple more runs to get an average. If you can switch back and do a couple more runs. And then see which setup gives you the best times. You should find that the diverter setup will net better times regardless of what intercooler setup you run. And as many runs as you do with the diverter will always be better then the BOV assuming driver input/reaction time etc are similiar and consistent.

And yes you are talking about small percentages but all the little things add up especially the bigger numbers you are putting down. Especially since .3 seconds can be the difference between the L and the W at the track.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM

hey scoupe where did you get your pipe from the MAF to the intercooler pipe? i'm redoing mine right now and i would really like to know where you found it or if you had it made where and how much it was?

thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2006 Kia Spectra5

nos4atu ... did you get all that ?? :biggrin:

dayton ... you don't get it. There's no room for anything else, except for what you see ... check out a 3rd gen Spectra some day ... no room!!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'll have to take your word for it and at least you put an intercooler on unlike the civic guys in my area. They tend to wonder why stuff gets broken when they don't put in an intercooler and don't tune the ecu running full boost with a manual boost controller and a cheapo FPR. Anyways like I said I like the quality of the work looks top notch and if there isn't space then I respect that.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

Originally Posted by drpapadakalis
hey scoupe where did you get your pipe from the MAF to the intercooler pipe? i'm redoing mine right now and i would really like to know where you found it or if you had it made where and how much it was?

thanks

the i/c pipes are made for evo 8-9.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: Tib

Originally Posted by Turboron_99
Same guy as BMXER (Rickey, from Speedfactory Racing) Made my Cast Tubing Manifold, my custom front mount and all the Ic piping they do all work in shop form simple to full custom builds!

Rickey is very well known for his amazing work, also not only is it amazing, but fairly affordable for what they do!

Even in house dyno tuning!

I will post pictues of my setup when i get home!

Do you still work at SpeedFactory? I thought you did all your own work on your car.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I Have never worked for speedfactory!!! I am NAVY!! I do my own work, they have custom fabricated a few parts, i also do fabrication, but not like they do...