Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

fabbing my exhaust

Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 accent
Default fabbing my exhaust

Running 9-10 psi on the stock exhaust started causing misfires so... 2 pypes m80 perforated core mufflers and 10 random 3" mandrel bends (60$ shipped ). I just did the tailpipe section before it necks down from 2" to 1 3/4 for now, I want to do the rest in tig class. I had to make a 3 bolt flange and 2-3" transition used the sock mounting bracket Dumped out the side to save weight (14 lbs over over stock) and bends. I turned down the boost because I was afraid of running leaner with new exhaust and over boosting so all I can say is the turbo spools faster, It's kind of quiet but sounds good and deep. sound vid
Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Tell me that is not a picture of your hand holding a piece of sheet steel as a hole-boring bit drills through it.

Beware of local regulations when it comes to dumping in non-standard locations. Most places that care, you at least have to dump behind the rearmost door opening.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Also that 90 degree bend is probably putting more restriction that a cat back and under axle, with two small less than 45 degree bends which would also get the exhaust at the back so you dont have to smell shitty fumes all the time. Just my 2 cent, but other than the sharp bend turning to the outside of the car, i would most certainly turn the clamps sideways so they dont get hung up on anything also!!! also not digging the bare hand holding sheet metal, while drilling it, lol I learned that lesson years ago, espcially when you have a Glove not 6" from your hand!!! But anyway looks good non the less!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 AM

Tell me that is not a picture of your hand holding a piece of sheet steel as a hole-boring bit drills through it.

Beware of local regulations when it comes to dumping in non-standard locations. Most places that care, you at least have to dump behind the rearmost door opening.
uhh yeah after it snapped on me a few times I put the glove on, it is behind the rear door opening, I wonder how Mercedes gets around that.
Also that 90 degree bend is probably putting more restriction that a cat back and under axle, with two small less than 45 degree bends which would also get the exhaust at the back so you dont have to smell shitty fumes all the time. Just my 2 cent, but other than the sharp bend turning to the outside of the car, i would most certainly turn the clamps sideways so they don't get hung up on anything also!!! also not digging the bare hand holding sheet metal, while drilling it, lol I learned that lesson years ago, especially when you have a Glove not 6" from your hand!!! But anyway looks good non the less!
I'd need two 90's if I dumped it out the back (to get around the gas tank). It was putting out some nasty fumes, the pipes had all kinds of sh*t in them that I thought I cleaned out-not good enough, it seems to have gone away and I don't smell anything usually.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 AM

^^^^^ The thing with that is that, it comes from the factory that way, and wasnt moved from a rear exit to a side exit. Also sure there are some extra strings with that, i know this topic was discuss a while back, see if i can dig it up for you!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Thing started leaking , I'm going to try to seal it up it with copper rtv.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM

We know you can weld, saw that you had a microwave stick welder setup lol!!! Why not just throw down some beads on it???
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Don't tease, it's not nice.

For those who don't know: you can take serious injury if you hand-hold a workpiece on a drill or mill. ALWAYS clamp your workpiece! Having read this, if you EVER don't clamp your work on a drill press you are officially a DUMBASS.

Ask this guy. (graphic image warning)
Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Because the joint that's probably leaking is temporary until I redo the rest to the turbo.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM

Leak ended up being a hole in the pre turbo manifold extension that I patched up with 2000 degree sealer a few months ago, time for a new one with mandrel bends.