Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Borg Warner EFR turbos

Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tib
Default Borg Warner EFR turbos

Anyone using these in their cars? been reading up on them alot and they seem to be one of the best turbos out now

http://www.full-race.com/articles/bo...fr-turbos.html

http://borgwarnerdealer.com/
Old 02-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

never had any experience with them, but judging by those articles, the EFR line of turbos are going to be BAD ASS.. price also seems like it would be pretty high even though 'affordable' is mentioned a few times.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Just a quick hop onto google shop it looks like the EFRs are about the same price as the comparable GT-K. Seen a lot of hype out there but no one claiming to run one in any of the forums.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

yeah, i just found some pricing from Treadstone on the EFR turbos, look like they are quite a bit more than the GTK though..

GTK : 1189 - 1274 for 325-500 models

EFR: 1461-1708 for 6258, 6758 and 7064

Garrett GT: 1050-1200 for disco potato through GT35R sizes

The EFR, in theory would be the best choice if you wanted to spend big money on the turbo alone. I would probably invest in an EFR turbo on a newer car, but definitely not a 10+ year old car unless I was building it for competitive racing.

You can get a remanufactured Garrett journal bearing turbo for around 550-600$ in many different sizes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Just googled a few GTKs and they seemed to be ~1200-1400

With a 200-500 price difference they better kick ass, but I still have yet to find a decent comparison
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

i would say that they would be worth it, just not to spend the money on a 10+ yr old car thats blue book value is probably only double the cost of the turbo wouldn't really be worth it. but thats just me.

the EFR turbos have really broad maps, include the BPV AND a boost control solenoid, speed sensor, integrated WGA, ceramic BB, titanium turbine wheel, forged billet wheel, stainless turbine housing.. what more could you ask for.. its the price tag though that would set me away from it when putting it on an older vehicle.

if you were to use a turbo like this, you'd better be going with an awesome, matched intercooler, great fuel tuning, etc. to match. going with a denser, better core than what most people use will also up the price a bit.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Elantra

Originally Posted by turbosocks
i would say that they would be worth it, just not to spend the money on a 10+ yr old car thats blue book value is probably only double the cost of the turbo wouldn't really be worth it. but thats just me.

the EFR turbos have really broad maps, include the BPV AND a boost control solenoid, speed sensor, integrated WGA, ceramic BB, titanium turbine wheel, forged billet wheel, stainless turbine housing.. what more could you ask for.. its the price tag though that would set me away from it when putting it on an older vehicle.

if you were to use a turbo like this, you'd better be going with an awesome, matched intercooler, great fuel tuning, etc. to match. going with a denser, better core than what most people use will also up the price a bit.
I saw these at SEMA and talked to a few of the reps at the BW both about them. They are definitely pricier because of the titanium aluminde wheels but these wheels are light. I think this is also BW's first time running their DBB center in a performance application so there's still some proving time needed. I looked at their integrated BOV set up and it's an interesting concept but I'm curios what the flow rate is on that valve. The other piece I noticed is their Internal Wastegate design tends put the valve itself directly into the discharge port exhaust gas stream. Not sure how much disruption in flow that will cause or if it will increase backpressure like that but I've typically divorced the two when I run an internal gate so moth ports are flowing into their own pipe section and then blend them together further down the downpipe where the velocity is lower.