Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

garrett or turbonetics?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon
Default garrett or turbonetics?

IM getiing ready to order my new turbo but cant decide between garrett or turbonetics i like how turbonetics has a one year return policy no questions asked but are they good as garrett or better any info would be great thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Turbonetics is usually a bit more expensive, both are great turbos, but i would say Turbonetics would probably be a bit better as far as how their higher end turbos are made (GTK series)

since most people on a budget go with a standard journal bearing turbo, from what i have seen between the two is there isn't really a 'better' choice. A few years back, people started having some reliability issues with garrett, but i haven't heard anything lately about issues.

If you are planning on buying a more expensive turbo (1000+) I would go with a Turbonetics GTK.

If you are planning on just getting an appropriately sized turbo that will match your goals, garrett and turbonetics are both good choices.

What size turbo are you looking at?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Elantra

The mention about Turbonetics being more expensive is interesting. I actually had a kit of theirs on my last car. Their prices actually seem really reasonable to me. They also released a more cost friendly line (TN Series http://turboneticsinc.com/turbocharg...-turbochargers ) a couple years ago at SEMA that offer the same wheels and performance at a better price point. In fact since getting rid of my last car I've been getting the itch to boost my wifes Elantra. She's not big into cars so if I don't make the project cheap I'm getting veto'd but I took a look at the Price List http://www.turboneticsinc.com/sites/...12-13-2010.pdf and TN series even with a ball bearing is a pretty good deal. If I go journal bearing it's even more reasonable. Now I just got to figure out how I convince my wife her Elantra morphed into my Titan while I fab the piping up for a week.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Good luck with that battle. Just trying to convince my wife to spend our credit at the dealer on the short ram and strut brace was a though enough battle
Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

im not seeing your point, turbonetics is still more $$$$ than garrett.

looks like their cheapest non BB turbo is 700$ straight t3 and the next up hybrid is 800$

compared to a hybrid garrett at ~615$ brand new. now they are probably a bit cheaper elsewhere other than direct from turbonetics, but none the less they still cost more $$$ for a comparable garrett turbo.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Good luck with that battle. Just trying to convince my wife to spend our credit at the dealer on the short ram and strut brace was a though enough battle
She's usually pretty good about letting me play and buy new toys but seeing as this is her car and she let me buy a new boat last year I'm not liking my chances
Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by turbosocks
im not seeing your point, turbonetics is still more $$$$ than garrett.

looks like their cheapest non BB turbo is 700$ straight t3 and the next up hybrid is 800$

compared to a hybrid garrett at ~615$ brand new. now they are probably a bit cheaper elsewhere other than direct from turbonetics, but none the less they still cost more $$$ for a comparable garrett turbo.
Sure on the retail lists I see what you mean however I've been able to find good pricing from their dealers. My actual comparison was their TN series to their standard, or GT-K units. In my opnion $700 for a really nice performing unit is very reasonable to me. The simple fact that I can custom order whatever I want direct from the manufacturer is also nice since I'm going to have to experiment with my turbo sizing on the wife's Elantra. At any rate all I was trying to get at it is that with the different options Turbonetics has out there the bang for the buck to me anyways is better.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garrett and Turbonetics are pretty equal as far as how they perform, but anywhere you look, garrett will almost always be cheaper..

you dont really need to experiment with turbo sizing, you can pretty much calculate what would fit best with the car.

the Elantra has the same motor as the Tiburons, so you can look around at all the different turbos being used on those for a good idea.

Garrett also has a ton of options, probably close to what Turbonetics offers, not to mention from dealers, you can custom build a turbo from either Garrett or Turbonetics.

Garrett has T series, GT non BB, GT BB and GTX BB turbos which is more than enough options for anyone.

also, the fact that you can't even find compressor maps for the GTK series is kind of retarded. without a compressor map, your just kind of choosing a turbo in the dark.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

I agree with turbosocks, there isnt a whole lot of experimenting to go on in regards to a turbo combo. A Garrett GT28 or .50 trim journal bearing will provide lots of power at a very reasonable price. Personally after having used a journal and ball bearing turbo I can say that the extra money spent on the BB is well worth it but its not rebuildable, however I havent heard of as many BB turbos bursting as I have journal bearing turbos.

Either company is going to make an excellent turbo which will do the same thing at the end of the day, but you should be able to get a hybrid turbo from any company for less that $700, also remember that if you want an internal wastegate it will most likely cost a little more.

60 trim

Precision T3 50 trim

Garrett T3 50 trim
Old 02-03-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by turbosocks
Garrett and Turbonetics are pretty equal as far as how they perform, but anywhere you look, garrett will almost always be cheaper..

you dont really need to experiment with turbo sizing, you can pretty much calculate what would fit best with the car.

the Elantra has the same motor as the Tiburons, so you can look around at all the different turbos being used on those for a good idea.

Garrett also has a ton of options, probably close to what Turbonetics offers, not to mention from dealers, you can custom build a turbo from either Garrett or Turbonetics.

Garrett has T series, GT non BB, GT BB and GTX BB turbos which is more than enough options for anyone.

also, the fact that you can't even find compressor maps for the GTK series is kind of retarded. without a compressor map, your just kind of choosing a turbo in the dark.
Well the smaller GT-Ks have compressor maps available. Only difference being the surge porting makes the surge line move left and the upper end of the efficiency island shrink. I could look at what everyone else is doing or I could play with my own car and set up and find something I like. I prefer to go with B. I've been turbocharging motors for a while now and I know I can get in the ball park right away but at the same time I like to play with A/R's and wheel options to make my own combo. To each their own I guess. I do like the V band in and out on the Turbonetics T3 frame turbines which I've only seen from Tial for Garrett units and those Tial housings are far from reasonable. I just had a vendor buddy of mine price me out on a T3 50 trim compressor, F1-49 turbine with a couple different v band in and out housings (which I really really like for my fab work) and the nice part is no matter what compressor wheel I chose it was the same price. I guess i just like the customizable options from Turbonetics more. Again to each their own. Both make a quality product, both will perform, and for the way I play with turbos I prefer Turbonetics customization options more.