Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Does it make sense to stay NA because of there being so many problems associated with FI?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tibby
Default Does it make sense to stay NA because of there being so many problems associated with FI?

Everyone I talk to in the tuner scene says I need to put a turbo on my car. But all these people who say that have cars that are turbo'd and they barely drive them because they're down due to something breaking. I like having a car thats reliable every day and if I add some type of aftermarket NA part I know its still going to keep running. Im sure having alot more horsepower is a thrill but at what cost? Having a fast car but only being able to enjoy it once in awhile or having a car thats NA, still somewhat fun to drive, and you can get it in and drive any time you want. Am I dumb for thinking this way or is going turbo the really only best way to enjoy a car?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

it really boils down to are you able to maintain a car that has been modified. are you going to check the oil feed and return lines meticulously with every oil change, are you going to be happy with the 50 more horspower... or are you gonna go for a 400 horsepower beast ? this community has monster tibs ! both reliably tuned for a cool 200 horses, and track tuned for 10 second passes. with that said, ask yourself if you really want to mod the car like that. im not saying that you shouldnt, but can you handle the maintenance. there are plenty of ppl here that know the i4 beta inside and out, and also the v6.

what engine do you have in your tib ?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The best way to think of this is to ask 2 basic questions:

Am I ready to drop obscene amounts of cash on premium parts?

Am I willing to do do the maintenance to keep this up and will I have problems affording a new parts?

If the answer to either one of those is "no" it's probably best to just stay n/a until such a time. Not to say you can't build a turbo motor off ebay parts and stock compression and make decent power. My point is if you want to drive it often and expect any kind of reliability you should be able to say yes to both. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people (self included) drop life savings into a project car then try to drive it everyday without any change in maintenance or though for down time. OR start small. I am holding off on my engine build until we close on a house and I change jobs. It's just whats necessary to have a better end result. Now in the meantime I am installing the BBK, upgrading the suspension, gathering parts for the build, etc. small support projects that are part of a cohesive whole. Plus I have a backup car in case mine (as the case has been recently) is down. Without that I wouldn't even dream of modding my Tib. Gotta have a DD or other plan to backup the project. Because when it fails to start one morning (and it will) you still got to get to school/work/etc.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Never do a mod to your car because someone else wants it. If YOU want your car to be faster then consider it. If you don't care about making it faster, do whatever sort of mods you do want. If you like it as it is, don't do any more mods.

As you add more power there will be more potential for issues. If I was concerned about reliability I would probably not go beyond I/H/E. Especially for Hyundais aftermarket parts can be hit or miss on quality. It's really frustrating to have to do things like tear apart your System R throttle body 10 times trying to figure out why it sticks slightly open on occasion, or to need to get all new exhaust to match up to a header that was supposed to bolt into the stock exhaust, or anything else like that.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

dude, i had to take off my GTR throttle body cuz the god damn buttefly would stick closed... and when i went to hit the gas it would POP open to like 30 percent or more and jolt me back in to my seat... f*cking POS.... you said it tho...dont mod your car cuz some dick wants to race you, or they want you to be fast... do it cuz you want to do it.