Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Do you need a performance clutch with a turbo or supercharger?

Old 04-23-2002, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Do you need a performance clutch with a turbo or supercharger?

I was reading a post, and someone reccomended that if you get a turbo, you will need a performance clutch. Is this true? Any info on this I would appreciate.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:25 AM

it would be nice if you did get one and a bigger brake system
can't hurt to upgrade to performance hardware for your new performing engine
Old 04-23-2002, 03:30 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Is it necessary to upgrade the clutch. I am definately interested in geting the brake upgrade. How much would a nice clutch cost. I don't need anything fancy, just something that will last with a supercharger. Also any idea how much it will cost to have a new clutch installed? Also can you physically notice a difference once a performance clutch is installed or not?
Old 04-23-2002, 03:30 AM

Depends on how much HP you plan on makin'. Not sure what the stock clutch can handle, but i doubt it is rated for a turbo application. I would bet with anything over 200hp you would burn it up in no time.

more grip=less slip and a good launch
Old 04-23-2002, 03:50 AM

yes, you will definately need a new clutch if planning on running any more than 4 or 5 PSI. kore motorsports sells their "stage 2" clutch for 299, the stage 3 (id recomend for turbo applications, and is what im going to run) sells for $389. their website is http://www.kore-motorsports.comkore-motorsports.com

id suggest just buying the ballistic racing kit tho, it includes everything you need from turbo, to ECU, clutch...etc. i wish i would have purchased it tongue.gif
Old 04-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The Kore clutch units are MUCH cheaper than the Clutchmasters units.

yes, you CAN tell the difference between a performance clutch and a stock unit. The performance units do NOT like to slip. If you want to 'slip' it into gear, you must power through the clutch (2500-3000 rpm), on the stock clutch, you can slip it in at idle...

A peformance clutch grips much faster, and harder than the stock unit.

I would reccomend a stage2 for the supercharger and a stage 3 for the turbocharger. A higher unit if you plan on "madd boost" like red, Onpol or myself.