Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Discuss this pic :)

Old 05-02-2005, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They also have a kit like this for a chevy suburban its nice , big o truck buring sum tire
Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 PM

QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 2 2005, 06:19 PM)
in my opinion, something such as a turbo should just NOT go underneath your car.
next time you jack your car up, look under there. see all that dirt? why would you want your nice turbo set up covered in that? just seems stupid to me. turbos are fragile too

i can't help but agree with this.

especially as far as the element of FORCED induction... wouldn't you want natural, amplified AIR flow - like you'd get at the front? and to keep it clean?

i'd like to see numbers from one of these set ups. 8^)

i find this extremely interesting
Old 05-02-2005, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Turbos aren't that fragile... really are quite hardy little guys if you buy a well-designed one (Garret, etc.). I've seen DSMs with the stock turbo still running very well after 100k miles of pure neglect. Of course they work better with tender loving care... but to say they are fragile isn't necessarily true.

Air flow is basically irrelevant with a turbo setup (Excl. intercooler). As long as the turbo has access to air to compress, air speed/etc. has no bearing as long as it gets decent flow. Believe me, there is plenty of fast-moving air under a car... a filter back there probably gets better flow than the AEM's location for a CAI. The only disadvantage is the excess plumbing, although more plumbing does not mean more lag. That and the fact that its not the best for more severe weather due to filter location, etc.

Many aftermarket setups for larger displacement vehicles have the intercooler set not in the front, but under the car. With I4s we have the advantage of lots of space to work on the car... for many other vehicles there is hardly any room in the engine bay for added plumbing.

Cleaning, of course your going to need to do that every once in a while. Plenty of car washes have undercarriage sprays.... going through one of those once a week should keep it more than clean enough.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:10 PM

yeah, i never questioned the toughness of a turbocharger. that's not an issue for me. i know they can handle some neglect, and then some.

my question is DIRECT flow though. i'm just thinking that a direct shot through, say a hole in the headlight RIGHT outside of the air inlet on the turbo - would be better than air going under the car to the back, no less.

i know there's a LOT of air moving under the car, and you're probably right about the intake in that location as opposed to the AEM CAI set up (ESPECIALLY considering it has a flat face.... the face that happens to be facing the wind too)... but i'm referring to drag racing and such, as far as direct speed goes. or auto-cross too.... for that matter. lots of dirt there.

i'm merely questioning and wanting to learn more about this personaly. i've never seen this kind of set-up (and i'm not a spring chicken by any means).