Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Computer Choice

Old 07-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Hey all,
I'm looking at a stand alone computer. I'm looking torward a Haltech EX6. Is this a good choice or is something better. I need to know what kind of install I'm looking at and how complex programming will be. Any other sugestions? I'm still open to ideas but im looking to buy and install before the fall.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

just thought i'd throw this out there:

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=9240
Old 07-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Well...the problem with some standalones is that they'll sell you the unit, but it'll have all of these extra options which make you spend more and more money (options such as a solenoid to control the wastegate [built in EBC], use of a MAP vs MAF sensor, a 4 wire O2 sensor, etc).

And it depends on your mods. I know the E6X doesn't have a built in EBC function, so you'll need to get yourself a Greddy Profec, HKS EVC, or whatever EBC floats your boat.

(I'd prefer, if I had the money, to get the E11v2 for that built in function, but either or still works).

Sensors usually are sold separately from standalone units (that's a precaution!)...but places do offer bundle kits that include the sensors. If you plan on going standalone on a N/A'd car, probably not the best idea (not really a good bang for the buck). Better off with a GOOD piggyback, like the Greddy E-manage (versus the hated Apexi S-AFC and the HKS S-AFR).
Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Have you thought about contacting Rick and having him give you the Siemens swap kit, and custom tune the ECU?
Not sure if RE is currently ready for this, but they say it is in the future laugh.gif.
An aftermarket tuned ECU would be nice, but it would be a b**** if you ever heavily mod something (I believe the ECU can learn subtle things, but like different compression or something would require another tune). Also this would get you by the emissions wouldn't it
Old 07-29-2005, 06:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Emanage is a Piggyback that costs $550 or more after all the harnesses. (Has anyone tested this months later with a wideband to make sure it works?)
Haltech, while it's the best standalone available for us, is $1200 plus install fees.
PRS2 is a standalone for $674 and can be installed yourself if you have simple wiring skills.

I'm not a rep. nor biased on any of these units. I even planned to buy the Haltech until I saw the PRS. I just fail to understand why people don't see the obvious bargain in this. The PRS is as cheap as ANY piggyback and half the price of its competitive standalones.
I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. If so, could you please tell me why here: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=9240 dunno.gif
Old 07-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Hey,
Thanks for the quick response. I agree with JonGTR the PRS looks like the best choice. I don't have to deal with emision crap so I can just put it in and go. I need an ECU because I plan on going turbo and this is my first step down that road. I'm in on a group buy if you can get one JonGTR. I'll post on the other thread too. Thanks all.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:56 AM

Just found this:

http://www.perfectpowerusa.citymax.com/cat...715/1407494.htm

Looks like the USA distributor for perfect power has the new XMS standalone in stock.

Details:

http://www.perfectpower.com/Products/xms.asp

Very importantly,
OBD PORT

Can connect to commercial hand held “scanner”

ISO 9141 port

Standard protocol

Standard “DEVICE TROUBLE CODES”

I may have to change some plans of mine...