Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Cheap Billet Catch Cans

Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Cheap Billet Catch Cans

I was getting some oil in my CAI and in the supercharger intake TB adapter also.
I found this DIY on another site and tried it, here's the link in case anybody else wants to try it. It's a good, cheap, decent looking setup.

I put one on the PCV line and one on the crankcase vent line. Two shipped were $45, add a few bucks for the additional hose, 5/16" fittings and baffle material and I have two catch cans for about $70.

I just checked both catch cans, I've had them on for a month. I got about 4 drops out of the PCV catch can and nothing out of the crankcase vent can.

No oil film in the CAI or intake, I can see the PCV port in the intake with the CAI removed and the TB butterfly open.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-reque...about-20-a.html
Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I made mine out of an oil/water separator from home depot for $15 then spend a few bucks on fittings and fuel line. The pictures below of my current test setup. I also put a small breather filter on a hose coming from the valve cover. Then I capped off the line coming from the intake elbow. So far I have noticed more low end torque when taking off from a stop. Its probably from not losing any air from the elbow hose now.

Only drawback with my PCV catch can is that after awhile it develops a vacuum leak around the canister since it is not designed for fluids like oil and gas. After you take it apart and dump the fluid and clean it up its good to go again.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

don't like that petcock setup. on my homemade one I have a ball valve and about a ft. of line run down under it. Just slide the oil pan under it and open the valve for a few seconds, no mess. But it looks like it would be easy enough to replace and it looks a lot nicer than my homemade one.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Reading this post made me think. When I got my catch can I had it on the breather and caught nothing at all after a month. So I switched it over to my PCV and checked it after a week. Nothing came out. Well, it's been about 2 years now since I cracked this thing open. It was only 1/4 full but the stuff was black as night.

Sorry about the dirty engine bay. Note, the bottom of the catch can is etched, that is not junk, that's something that the manufacturer put there.

It doesn't really seem worth it as long as the internal catch can is working fine on my beta engine. I think it's time to swab out that drain again: https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/in...t=0&start=0
Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM

Vehicle: 2005/Hyundai/Tiburon

It's probably not as much of an issue on a NA motor. On a boosted motor the PCV valve closes under boost and the crankase vent inlet ends up venting crankcase vapors into the CAI, there isn't an oil separator on the crankcase vent.

I think it's better to keep the oil vapor from the PCV out of the supercharger when the motor is running NA.

Putting catch cans on both lines keeps the oil out of the intake tract all the time