Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo exhaust help

Old 09-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Turbo exhaust help

I have been told that the less restriction on a turbo'ed car is better; In the way that it lets the turbo spool faster.
If this is the case should i go with a 2.5' exhaust from dp back, or 2.5' dp and 3' back?
I would like to put a cat back on the car, and get a more free flowing muffler.

Right now i have a 2.25 motira cat back, with not cats, and a 2.5' dp. (3' dp wont fit with my alternator being where it is.)
I am at 5psi right now and will be putting a 10psi spring in as soon as it gets here.

oh and my dp is mandrel bend, and my exhaust is crush, what ever dimension i go with it will be mandrel bent.

i would like to have this all done before i get it tuned so any information will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

You will be fine up to 350whp with your set up right now. Just leave it.

You won't notice a difference between a 2.5" dp and 3"dp, nor 2.25 and 2.5" exhaust at 10psi. Maybe once you start pushing 18-30psi you'll end up with some restrictions.

Don't complicate yourself with the ricer talk such as "oh you must have 3"dp, 3" exhaust, blah blah" on anything under 350whp. You'll gain maybe 100rpm faster spool? WHOOP LOL. Means you'll just spin tires faster.