Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Charge Pipe Question

Old 02-01-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok so here's the deal; Ive been planning on having 2.5" piping for a long time. the problem is that the outlet on my compressor is 2". So my question is what do you guys think I should do? convert it (via silicon coupler) right from the get go and have 2.5" pipe the whole way, or start with 2" pipe and convert it when it gets to my fmic (which has a 2.5" inlet/outlet)? I dont really care either way, I just wanted some insight into which way might benefit me more.

I know that smaller piping decreases lag, but there really wouldnt be a whole lot of 2", so it might not be too much of a factor in that.

Also some info; I have a small t3 with a .48 a/r and only plan on pushing a high of maybe 7 psi. Let me know what you think! and thanks in advance
Old 02-01-2006, 07:54 PM

Ok so here's the deal; Ive been planning on having 2.5" piping for a long time. the problem is that the outlet on my compressor is 2". So my question is what do you guys think I should do? convert it (via silicon coupler) right from the get go and have 2.5" pipe the whole way, or start with 2" pipe and convert it when it gets to my fmic (which has a 2.5" inlet/outlet)? I dont really care either way, I just wanted some insight into which way might benefit me more.

I know that smaller piping decreases lag, but there really wouldnt be a whole lot of 2", so it might not be too much of a factor in that.

Also some info; I have a small t3 with a .48 a/r and only plan on pushing a high of maybe 7 psi. Let me know what you think! and thanks in advance
Old 02-01-2006, 08:09 PM

If you plan on pushing a high of 7, and never going above that... going 2inch all the way wouldn't be a bad idea, instead using pipe convertors to change your charge piping to 2.5 before and after the I\C.

If you stick with 2.5, I'd convert it right at the get go. Going to 2.5 later on after a few feet of 2inch doesn't really make sense to me, I dunno if there would be any power increase\decrease.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:09 PM

If you plan on pushing a high of 7, and never going above that... going 2inch all the way wouldn't be a bad idea, instead using pipe convertors to change your charge piping to 2.5 before and after the I\C.

If you stick with 2.5, I'd convert it right at the get go. Going to 2.5 later on after a few feet of 2inch doesn't really make sense to me, I dunno if there would be any power increase\decrease.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:21 PM

well I figure the extra .5" wont be too much of a drawback and with it fitting to my IC and the elbow it just seemed easier (less converters and whatnot). I see what your saying about it not making sense... It kinda doesnt. Just an idea i had, but does anyone know if there'd be any drawback to doing 2" up to the IC?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:21 PM

well I figure the extra .5" wont be too much of a drawback and with it fitting to my IC and the elbow it just seemed easier (less converters and whatnot). I see what your saying about it not making sense... It kinda doesnt. Just an idea i had, but does anyone know if there'd be any drawback to doing 2" up to the IC?