Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Hi Comp Pistons

Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok guys for anyone who doesnt know Im about to get a new trans and engine swapping the trans in spring break. Now for the questions for building a high comp engine. I use my car for daily driving and autox so I was thinking of 272 cams. Are 282 way to high rev for my application? For tuning I plan to use a SAFC II. For the pistons I could easily use stock rods (just checking) also the pistons I want to get are the 13:1 from kspec. For the street driving I know I have to use 94 octane race gas is to hard to access all the time. Is 94 octane ok to use or is that horrible for mpg and Ill have to run super rich and retarded? For those of you who say go turbo I cant have lag for what I want, even for a small turbo I dont want ANY lag. Also I would like to stay NA so people dont say hes boosted and expect my car to be fast. Would you send ure head to be ported and polished, do it yourself, or not worth the $ which Ive heard it is.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok guys for anyone who doesnt know Im about to get a new trans and engine swapping the trans in spring break. Now for the questions for building a high comp engine. I use my car for daily driving and autox so I was thinking of 272 cams. Are 282 way to high rev for my application? For tuning I plan to use a SAFC II. For the pistons I could easily use stock rods (just checking) also the pistons I want to get are the 13:1 from kspec. For the street driving I know I have to use 94 octane race gas is to hard to access all the time. Is 94 octane ok to use or is that horrible for mpg and Ill have to run super rich and retarded? For those of you who say go turbo I cant have lag for what I want, even for a small turbo I dont want ANY lag. Also I would like to stay NA so people dont say hes boosted and expect my car to be fast. Would you send ure head to be ported and polished, do it yourself, or not worth the $ which Ive heard it is.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Cool, I'm actually interested in the same questions you are asking. I would like to do the exact same thing you are talking about. Have you found cams anywhere other than kspec? Good luck with the project man, and I look forward to hearing some answers from the more knowledgeable members on this forum.

BTW: Ever consider Alpine's supercharger? Just a thought. smile.gif
Old 02-01-2006, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Cool, I'm actually interested in the same questions you are asking. I would like to do the exact same thing you are talking about. Have you found cams anywhere other than kspec? Good luck with the project man, and I look forward to hearing some answers from the more knowledgeable members on this forum.

BTW: Ever consider Alpine's supercharger? Just a thought. smile.gif
Old 02-01-2006, 09:24 PM

maybe im a newb for asking this but i was reading this post and he said hes just going to use safc2 to tune his cams. i thought you need more than just an safc to tune cams.... am i right?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:24 PM

maybe im a newb for asking this but i was reading this post and he said hes just going to use safc2 to tune his cams. i thought you need more than just an safc to tune cams.... am i right?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

272s or 284s are pretty big... if you want all the power out of them your going to have to go standalone to at least remove the rev limiter. With high comp pistons and cams a piggyback prob won't cut it in the first place.

13:1 probably wouldn't like 94 octane either.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

272s or 284s are pretty big... if you want all the power out of them your going to have to go standalone to at least remove the rev limiter. With high comp pistons and cams a piggyback prob won't cut it in the first place.

13:1 probably wouldn't like 94 octane either.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:05 AM

if you're getting a heavily modified camshaft
for my car the tuner needed to do lot of work with the ECU and cam gear.
timing had to be sorted out

- haltech controls fuel and ignition
- adjustable cam gear
- 98 octane

I only added the stage 2 cylinder head, stage 2 camshaft, after I had already done the turbo.

The improvement from the camshaft was acceleration and 10% increase on the power.
If I press hard on the pedal, boost acceleration starts from 2500 - 4000rpm

Improvement from the stage 2 cylinder head is the Top End power.
I didn't feel any extra acceleration from low rpm, but definitely from 4000rpm upwards.

stage 2 cylinder head upgrade with a turbo installed on the car.
before 16psi 205hp
after 13psi 220hp still need to ugprade fuel injectors
20psi targeting 260hp - 290hp

www.rpw.com.au
supplies a complete stage 2 ported and polished cylinder head
and stage 2, 3, 4 performance camshafts.

I don't know what improvements you would get from a NA hyundai tiburon.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:05 AM

if you're getting a heavily modified camshaft
for my car the tuner needed to do lot of work with the ECU and cam gear.
timing had to be sorted out

- haltech controls fuel and ignition
- adjustable cam gear
- 98 octane

I only added the stage 2 cylinder head, stage 2 camshaft, after I had already done the turbo.

The improvement from the camshaft was acceleration and 10% increase on the power.
If I press hard on the pedal, boost acceleration starts from 2500 - 4000rpm

Improvement from the stage 2 cylinder head is the Top End power.
I didn't feel any extra acceleration from low rpm, but definitely from 4000rpm upwards.

stage 2 cylinder head upgrade with a turbo installed on the car.
before 16psi 205hp
after 13psi 220hp still need to ugprade fuel injectors
20psi targeting 260hp - 290hp

www.rpw.com.au
supplies a complete stage 2 ported and polished cylinder head
and stage 2, 3, 4 performance camshafts.

I don't know what improvements you would get from a NA hyundai tiburon.