Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

CAI Placement

Old 02-06-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (techcontib)
I only clean mine every oil change. Its pretty dirty just glad that crap doesn't go into the motor.

its a good thing it dont go into the engine, but wouldnt a dirt covered filter highly reduce airflow?
Old 02-06-2005, 01:44 PM

QUOTE (TibMinn)
its a good thing it dont go into the engine, but wouldnt a dirt covered filter highly reduce airflow?

Thats why you have to get a big one. Only if your rallying all over the desert would I clean it everyday.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:47 PM

I used to have a filter in the engine compartment, a good while back, and the filter actually got warped from the engine heat
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yah how quickly your airfilter gets dirty is a product of where you live... and what you drive thru ..
Old 02-06-2005, 01:50 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I have a small solution to dirt problem on filter. It is not neccesary, because the filter is there to filter the air, but if you want to keep your K&N clean then this is what I did. I bought a "heat shield" for CAI's and you're supposed to put it inbetween the filter and the engine block, headers, etc. (all those parts which give off heat). All it is, is a piece of metal, not really a "heat shield" but what I bought it for (10.00 off eBay) is to protect filter from mud/dirt. I put it facing downward so it is inbetween the cone filter and the ground. It works, because i checked it one day and there was dirt and mud stains all over it! I currently have my filter in the fender hole like the AEM intake positions it. The only problem with this solution is that it is a tight fit (but it does fit and it doesn't completely protect from dirt. Dirt still flies up and hits the filter head-on (which is not protected by "heat shield"
Dunno if they're still on eBay but it may help those like TibMinn who drive a day and there engine bay is dirty as hell.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Its a combustion reaction which it takes a lot of oxygen because the products are CO2 and H2O. If A/F ratios are to rich that all the gas isnt being utilized so you get worse feul mileage also the extra ful takes up room where the air can be about 33% O2 which means less power.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I want to respond to this, but I can't.

Really.

Kit, do some searching and some RESEARCH on why CAI's are what they are, and why they work.

arkOrange">KITFOX, You are a moron.

BTW, if you have an AEM, your intake is VERY well protected from dirt and water. Especially with foglights in.

I'm done with this crap. I can't belive this is a serious posting.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:21 PM

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
You are a moron.

This is the first time I have ever seen Redz straight out call someone a name. He usually dances around it and implies it, this time it was point blank.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

^^^^........because it is true, and very appropriate.

REDZ, if you were talking to me...I don't have an AEM, just an imitation.
I don't get THAT much dirt on the actual filter but some does show up eventually. I suggested my solution to TibMinn because he said his local driving area causes extreme dirt and mud stains all over engine, and air filter.
Also, that fender wall position where the air intake is best located (according to every on earth except Kit) is protected from dirt and upspray. You should check your plastic panels on the body and see if it curls around under the bottom of the car, maybe that piece fell off on your car TibMinn....

this post IS horrible, I agree REDZ....but I was expecting it from looking at who started it.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:38 PM

I don't want to get offtopic, so just one reply is fine...did Kit-Fox put the Official Forum Moron under his name, or was that earned and assigned?