Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/turbo-supercharge-forced-induction-29/)
-   -   CAI Placement (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/turbo-supercharge-forced-induction-29/cai-placement-26260/)

Kit-Fox 02-06-2005 12:35 PM

CAI Placement

So why do i always get put down for the placement of my CAI? Its more effective inside the engine bay near the front grills where there is compressed warm air then low down near the road where you guys put it where all the dirt and dust go on it and only air fly's by. The amount of air in the engine bay is compressed so highly thats the reason hoods fly open not cuz the air is blowwing from the front, there is more then enough nice warm air inside the engine bay that its not necsary to take it from down near the dirty cold ground. Why do real race cars warm everything up before they start? gasoline burns better at a higher temprature. A CAI put in more cold air, and increases the amount of gasoline burned per each cycle. A WAI adds more air and less gasoline, a cycle is way more effective with more air and less gasoline. Like i originaly had heated injectors on my tib to make the stuff even warmer when it gets injected into the engine. Now i know i may be wrong about all of this, but IMO it makes sense.

techcontib 02-06-2005 12:39 PM

I am getting me some popcorn for this one.popcorn.gif

01tibby 02-06-2005 12:40 PM

you want cold air, not warm air.

cold air has more molecules of oxygen given a certain volume than warm air.

gasoline needs molecules of oxygen to burn, therefore, you will want more o2 molecules entering your engine.

hamhead 02-06-2005 01:00 PM

LOL @ techcon, I'll grab some popcorn and participate to. Cold air is denser, denser air means more molecules of o2, more o2 means more power if you have the necessary fuel to feed it. Warm air is the worst thing you want for your engine. Warm air decreases density, and increases engine temperatures to where detonation occurs and your engines goes kerpow.

What did you think the purpose of an intercooler was? Make less power?

CyberShark 02-06-2005 01:03 PM

popcorn.gif *umm taste good* get an AEM man so you can place your filter in the fenderweld..getting cool air and offering some protection from high water

Alex01tib 02-06-2005 01:04 PM

if you took chem, or had some common sense, you would know that cold air is denser..also gasses(air) are more soluable with liquids(gasoline) when they are cold. result? more mixing.. more power...u can be funny tho:D:

Mad-Machine 02-06-2005 01:07 PM

yes.. the AEM or the Ebay style that I have place the aircleaner down in the fender well behind the fog light area... which is also an area that air gets SLIGHTLY compressed....

And no Kit.. if air got compressed enough to pop a hood open, your car would have the cooling capabilities it does.

Tibminn 02-06-2005 01:09 PM

I dont agree with kit's reasoning about warmer air, but i do agree with another thing.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kit-Fox)</div><div class='quotemain'>low down near the road where you guys put it where all the dirt and dust go on it and only air fly's by</div>

I dont have fogs in my rd2 so instead i have those plastic inserts with the big "vent" holes in them. Well if the cone was right behind that, sure it would be awesome for cold air, but dont you guys have to clean the filter every other day? cuz i know that here at least, if it rains, water, dirt, sand, mud, and you name it go through those holes. Ive had just nasty build up around there. My cone isnt there yet, but if im not mistaken, thats where it will be directed to. how many people is this a problem for?

hamhead 02-06-2005 01:13 PM

Thats what an air filter is for. That area rarely gets dirty. Its in front of the tire, so no dirt spunup from that is getting in there. Its covered from the bottom, so no dirt is coming from the bottom. The dirt would have to be drifting through the air, come through the hole, and then go a little bit to the side where the air filter is... I've had mine on for several months and the filter is still super clean.

techcontib 02-06-2005 01:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TibMinn)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont agree with kit's reasoning about warmer air, but i do agree with another thing.

I dont have fogs in my rd2 so instead i have those plastic inserts with the big "vent" holes in them. Well if the cone was right behind that, sure it would be awesome for cold air, but dont you guys have to clean the filter every other day? cuz i know that here at least, if it rains, water, dirt, sand, mud, and you name it go through those holes. Ive had just nasty build up around there. My cone isnt there yet, but if im not mistaken, thats where it will be directed to. how many people is this a problem for?</div>
I only clean mine every oil change. Its pretty dirty just glad that crap doesn't go into the motor.