Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/turbo-supercharge-forced-induction-29/)
-   -   CAI Placement (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/turbo-supercharge-forced-induction-29/cai-placement-26260/)

Kit-Fox 02-06-2005 12:35 PM

CAI Placement

So why do i always get put down for the placement of my CAI? Its more effective inside the engine bay near the front grills where there is compressed warm air then low down near the road where you guys put it where all the dirt and dust go on it and only air fly's by. The amount of air in the engine bay is compressed so highly thats the reason hoods fly open not cuz the air is blowwing from the front, there is more then enough nice warm air inside the engine bay that its not necsary to take it from down near the dirty cold ground. Why do real race cars warm everything up before they start? gasoline burns better at a higher temprature. A CAI put in more cold air, and increases the amount of gasoline burned per each cycle. A WAI adds more air and less gasoline, a cycle is way more effective with more air and less gasoline. Like i originaly had heated injectors on my tib to make the stuff even warmer when it gets injected into the engine. Now i know i may be wrong about all of this, but IMO it makes sense.

techcontib 02-06-2005 12:39 PM

I am getting me some popcorn for this one.popcorn.gif

01tibby 02-06-2005 12:40 PM

you want cold air, not warm air.

cold air has more molecules of oxygen given a certain volume than warm air.

gasoline needs molecules of oxygen to burn, therefore, you will want more o2 molecules entering your engine.

hamhead 02-06-2005 01:00 PM

LOL @ techcon, I'll grab some popcorn and participate to. Cold air is denser, denser air means more molecules of o2, more o2 means more power if you have the necessary fuel to feed it. Warm air is the worst thing you want for your engine. Warm air decreases density, and increases engine temperatures to where detonation occurs and your engines goes kerpow.

What did you think the purpose of an intercooler was? Make less power?

CyberShark 02-06-2005 01:03 PM

popcorn.gif *umm taste good* get an AEM man so you can place your filter in the fenderweld..getting cool air and offering some protection from high water

Alex01tib 02-06-2005 01:04 PM

if you took chem, or had some common sense, you would know that cold air is denser..also gasses(air) are more soluable with liquids(gasoline) when they are cold. result? more mixing.. more power...u can be funny tho:D:

Mad-Machine 02-06-2005 01:07 PM

yes.. the AEM or the Ebay style that I have place the aircleaner down in the fender well behind the fog light area... which is also an area that air gets SLIGHTLY compressed....

And no Kit.. if air got compressed enough to pop a hood open, your car would have the cooling capabilities it does.

Tibminn 02-06-2005 01:09 PM

I dont agree with kit's reasoning about warmer air, but i do agree with another thing.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kit-Fox)</div><div class='quotemain'>low down near the road where you guys put it where all the dirt and dust go on it and only air fly's by</div>

I dont have fogs in my rd2 so instead i have those plastic inserts with the big "vent" holes in them. Well if the cone was right behind that, sure it would be awesome for cold air, but dont you guys have to clean the filter every other day? cuz i know that here at least, if it rains, water, dirt, sand, mud, and you name it go through those holes. Ive had just nasty build up around there. My cone isnt there yet, but if im not mistaken, thats where it will be directed to. how many people is this a problem for?

hamhead 02-06-2005 01:13 PM

Thats what an air filter is for. That area rarely gets dirty. Its in front of the tire, so no dirt spunup from that is getting in there. Its covered from the bottom, so no dirt is coming from the bottom. The dirt would have to be drifting through the air, come through the hole, and then go a little bit to the side where the air filter is... I've had mine on for several months and the filter is still super clean.

techcontib 02-06-2005 01:27 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TibMinn)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont agree with kit's reasoning about warmer air, but i do agree with another thing.

I dont have fogs in my rd2 so instead i have those plastic inserts with the big "vent" holes in them. Well if the cone was right behind that, sure it would be awesome for cold air, but dont you guys have to clean the filter every other day? cuz i know that here at least, if it rains, water, dirt, sand, mud, and you name it go through those holes. Ive had just nasty build up around there. My cone isnt there yet, but if im not mistaken, thats where it will be directed to. how many people is this a problem for?</div>
I only clean mine every oil change. Its pretty dirty just glad that crap doesn't go into the motor.

Tibminn 02-06-2005 01:39 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (techcontib)</div><div class='quotemain'>I only clean mine every oil change. Its pretty dirty just glad that crap doesn't go into the motor.</div>

its a good thing it dont go into the engine, but wouldnt a dirt covered filter highly reduce airflow?

techcontib 02-06-2005 01:44 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TibMinn)</div><div class='quotemain'>its a good thing it dont go into the engine, but wouldnt a dirt covered filter highly reduce airflow?</div>
Thats why you have to get a big one. Only if your rallying all over the desert would I clean it everyday.

CyberShark 02-06-2005 01:47 PM

I used to have a filter in the engine compartment, a good while back, and the filter actually got warped from the engine heat

Alex01tib 02-06-2005 01:48 PM

yah how quickly your airfilter gets dirty is a product of where you live... and what you drive thru ..

'treezy 02-06-2005 01:50 PM

I have a small solution to dirt problem on filter. It is not neccesary, because the filter is there to filter the air, but if you want to keep your K&N clean then this is what I did. I bought a "heat shield" for CAI's and you're supposed to put it inbetween the filter and the engine block, headers, etc. (all those parts which give off heat). All it is, is a piece of metal, not really a "heat shield" but what I bought it for (10.00 off eBay) is to protect filter from mud/dirt. I put it facing downward so it is inbetween the cone filter and the ground. It works, because i checked it one day and there was dirt and mud stains all over it! I currently have my filter in the fender hole like the AEM intake positions it. The only problem with this solution is that it is a tight fit (but it does fit and it doesn't completely protect from dirt. Dirt still flies up and hits the filter head-on (which is not protected by "heat shield"
Dunno if they're still on eBay but it may help those like TibMinn who drive a day and there engine bay is dirty as hell.

brian01tib 02-06-2005 02:03 PM

Its a combustion reaction which it takes a lot of oxygen because the products are CO2 and H2O. If A/F ratios are to rich that all the gas isnt being utilized so you get worse feul mileage also the extra ful takes up room where the air can be about 33% O2 which means less power.

REDZMAN 02-06-2005 02:16 PM

I want to respond to this, but I can't.

Really.

Kit, do some searching and some RESEARCH on why CAI's are what they are, and why they work.

<span style="color:DarkOrange"><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">KITFOX</span></span>, You are a moron.

BTW, if you have an AEM, your intake is VERY well protected from dirt and water. Especially with foglights in.

I'm done with this crap. I can't belive this is a serious posting.

raehtz10 02-06-2005 02:21 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>You are a moron.</div>

This is the first time I have ever seen Redz straight out call someone a name. He usually dances around it and implies it, this time it was point blank.

'treezy 02-06-2005 02:32 PM

^^^^........because it is true, and very appropriate.

REDZ, if you were talking to me...I don't have an AEM, just an imitation.
I don't get THAT much dirt on the actual filter but some does show up eventually. I suggested my solution to TibMinn because he said his local driving area causes extreme dirt and mud stains all over engine, and air filter.
Also, that fender wall position where the air intake is best located (according to every on earth except Kit) is protected from dirt and upspray. You should check your plastic panels on the body and see if it curls around under the bottom of the car, maybe that piece fell off on your car TibMinn....

this post IS horrible, I agree REDZ....but I was expecting it from looking at who started it.

raehtz10 02-06-2005 02:38 PM

I don't want to get offtopic, so just one reply is fine...did Kit-Fox put the Official Forum Moron under his name, or was that earned and assigned?

REDZMAN 02-06-2005 02:38 PM

Edited my post, I wanted to make sure the correct Moron knew who I was talking about.

eyeroll.gif

Kit-Fox 02-06-2005 02:40 PM

No i earned it acording to Redz.

'treezy 02-06-2005 02:44 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>BTW, if you have an AEM, your intake is VERY well protected from dirt and water. Especially with foglights in.</div>

REDZ, I was refering to this ^^^ when I asked if you were talking to me. Not the name-calling. But thanks for clarification anyways, Kit-fox may have needed to know....

Tibminn 02-06-2005 03:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'><span style="color:darkorange"><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">KITFOX</span></span>, You are a moron.</div>

ok man, your gunna hate me after this, but i guess what happens happens.

to be honest with you, i cant disagree with your statement. and i actually thought his title change was funny! BUT i cant help think that if it would have been him calling you that... it woulda resulted in him being banned.

Im not trying to attack you, and i dont even mean to take his side. i just dont find that very fair. sorry for the semi offtopic-ness, but following the direction of this thread, it now kinda is on topic

oh and yes i do realize it was in fun.

hamhead 02-06-2005 03:04 PM

EDIT: Calling Kit a moron isn't harassment. He knows its all in good fun and deep down he knows he deserves it sometimes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (raehtz10)</div><div class='quotemain'>This is the first time I have ever seen Redz straight out call someone a name. He usually dances around it and implies it, this time it was point blank.</div>

OMG, all this is too funny. I just laugh whenever I see whats under Kit's name when he posts.

Alex01tib 02-06-2005 03:20 PM

no offense to kit but i think he earned that nickname wayyy before he got it... he does show vauge signs of intelligence in his reasoning but his ignorance smothers any chance of him learning... not an attack kit just an observation...

sorry if this is offtopic but i dont think that there is an on topic anymore...

Tibminn 02-06-2005 03:23 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alex01tib)</div><div class='quotemain'>sorry if this is offtopic but i dont think that there is an on topic anymore...</div>

well thats probably true haha

i didnt say kit was undeserving. i also didnt say i was disagreeing. just dont find it fair i guess. i probably shouldnt have said anything. whatever

Kit-Fox 02-06-2005 03:50 PM

I dont care about my title, i meant this as a serius thread, i truely belived what i wrote, and i gave my side of the evidance, i most definatly deserve the title for the Off-topic threads that i am sometimes involved in, but Tibminn makes a good point, if i called you a moron you would have used every single one of the policies of RD against me.

Mad-Machine 02-06-2005 03:50 PM

wow.. this quickly ran it's course... locked now

REDZMAN 02-06-2005 06:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Patreezy)</div><div class='quotemain'>REDZ, I was refering to this ^^^ when I asked if you were talking to me. Not the name-calling. But thanks for clarification anyways, Kit-fox may have needed to know....</div>

No, I was just talking in general.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TibMinn)</div><div class='quotemain'>BUT i cant help think that if it would have been him calling you that... it woulda resulted in him being banned.</div>

You reap what you sow. Anyways, Kit posts a lot of crazy stuff without looking into it first. If he called me a moron, I'd have PM'ed him about it, and maybe warned him. OP called me fat and I did that with him.

The fact is, Kit posted some ideas. Bad ones. With nothing to back them. I could have written a letter here about what was true. But I have before. Someone post up the like 7 page post on CAI's from the OLD site.

It's here guys.